Sheds

• 36 Replies

tallulah

Sheds
« on: October 26, 2007, 17:04 »
I'm 'desperate' for a shed for my allotment.  There's so much old wood lying about near my house, and being a natural born skip diver, I can't bear to buy!  However I'm not that handy with a hammer or a spirit level, tho my O-H, inept as he is at all DIY, as much bigger and stronger, and is equally 'desperate' to not spend any money.  Any suggestions for an easy-build?  Big enough to sit in, in the drizzle, keep the dogs in the shade (and a nice little verandah would go down well!)  I'm also going to be writing my best-seller in this shed, so waterproof would be good, along with a bit of natural light.  Am I too fussy?

brucesgirl

Sheds
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 18:54 »
Yes  :!:  :!:

brucesgirl

Sheds
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 18:55 »
Bl***dy laptop - didnt mean it twice

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Sheds
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 18:58 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
Bl***dy laptop - didnt mean it twice

It's okay BG, I deleted the other one, but I think you can do it yourself.  see top right of your post?  that little cross?  If you put your cursor on it, it says delete???? click on it and it asks you if you really want to delete that post and just click on yes.

If it doesn't have a little cross, that's because I can't remember pre-mod days!!!!!! lol

brucesgirl

Sheds
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 20:49 »
Thank you Grannie - I knew that, so why didn't I do it??

noshed

Sheds
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 22:07 »
One solution may be to get 4 spikey fence post things, drive them in, put some stubby bits in, join the stubs together with some 3x2s (treated) then nail doors, pallets etc to that frame until it's high enough then add a roof - doors etc.
This is roughly how I did my (rough) greenhouse.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Sheds
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 22:09 »
i recently bought loads of shed building plans from someone on ebay that  i'd be glad to share with anyone..... PM me if you want them!!!!

muntjac

Sheds
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 22:12 »
i coulda given ya loads for nowt soozi  :wink:  see plans in search   :)
still alive /............

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Sheds
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 23:49 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i coulda given ya loads for nowt soozi  :wink:  see plans in search   :)

:roll:  Typical!

tallulah

Sheds
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 10:06 »
Thanks everyone.  Noshed, that sounds great.  So I get the 4 corners in with the help of the fence post & spikes, and slowly cobble together the walls and roof etc.  I can do that!  I guess I should put some paving slabs or something on the  ground?

leeky

Sheds
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 15:47 »
I found it easier to make the panels first then screw the whole thing together.  I didnt use corner posts though. Slabs would be great for a floor. too much work mixing concrete!  :oops:

noshed

Sheds
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 19:08 »
Yes you could make the walls and then screw them together. I use the fence posts for my greenhouse mainly because it took off in a high wind.
My cheapo B&Q shed is made of very light material but once it's all screwed togther it's OK.
My neighbour knocked one up from doors and pallets just starting with two doors and going from there. I'll put up a pic.

splodger

Sheds
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 22:17 »
i've recently picked up a shed from freecycle - but needs repairs - so work in progress  :wink:

however as a collector of junk - and that i just can't throw anything away - i am always lacking storage

my first makeshift - was using long ladders resting against a fence at 1 end and a crowd barrier other end - then covered with tarp (pallets underneath to keep things off ground - very crude but incredibly effective

i then got hold of some hoarding boarding - which made a nice lean-to

my latest store - is made from an old greenhouse frame from freecycle -( no glass) to give extra weight and stabilityn- i put old fencing panels on the roof - then covered with tarp and tied it in - great for another short term fix

i have been offered the timber from an old weatherboard shed when my mate takes it down - and i am thinking about using the greenhouse frame and fixing the old boards around it (poss' using posts as extra support - poss' part glazed roof - but i might felt it

not the pretty garden shed with veranda - but safe, sturdy, weatherproof and most importantly free

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Sheds
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 22:26 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
Thank you Grannie - I knew that, so why didn't I do it??

Blond moment?????  :lol:

tallulah

Sheds
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 11:50 »
Thanks everyone.  I can't wait to get started.  It'll look like a Frankinstein shed, but hey!  It'll be made with love!

xx
sheds

Started by 02rlgudgin on Frugal Living

61 Replies
Last post March 18, 2007, 15:08
by frazzy
xx
Pallet Sheds

Started by blue_cortina on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post January 12, 2008, 08:30
by Selkie
xx
Cheap sheds!

Started by Allotment Angel on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 07:29
by Allotment Angel
xx
Cheap sheds

Started by noshed on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 10:06
by noshed

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.