Begonia Houseplant Help

• 6 Replies

garddwr

Begonia Houseplant Help
« on: March 04, 2011, 22:38 »
Hi everyone :)

Basically I said I would do my best for an elderley relative whose really old Begonia Houseplants are dying, I didn't promise anything but I really would like to revive them especially the first one. Here are the pics, there are 2 types the first I think is a begonia rex from reading a Carol Klein book and I've been reading up on leaf cuttings and leaf slashing or something, and I dont know if I'm right in saying the second is a tuberous type ? No idea if it is even a begonia-not much to go by only some dying leaves :) so thats only a guess.

Anyway here they are :

^ there is a tiny bud at the top of the spindly stem here  - gives some hope I suppose :)

There seems to be some weird yellow/white fungus type stuff which I've never seen before on the surface of the Begonia rex which I've never seen before, I dunno if its just dirt and will be fine once i clear out the compost on the top when repotting it ?

Here's the second one :

So...  I know it's a long shot but here goes :

I would be greatful for any advice:

1) Can you confirm both are begonias as I thought ?
2) What do I do to them ?
3 ) Do you think the leaf cuttings method will work ?
4) Should I give up now ?
5) Repotting ?

Thanks so much as always

G. :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Begonia Houseplant Help
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:31 »
They do look like begonias, I agree.

I'm not entirely sure about leaf cuttings for the tuberous one, you should be OK with the first one.  I've learnt about propagation but it's some years ago now  ::)

As for repotting, the first one definitely looks as though it's been in that pot a long time, if you look at the encrustation around the top of the compost.  I suspect it's also been left sitting in water for long periods of time if you look at the outside of the pot.

I'd suggest a John Innes #2 compost which has more substance than a standard compost.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

garddwr

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:35 »
They do look like begonias, I agree.

I'm not entirely sure about leaf cuttings for the tuberous one, you should be OK with the first one.  I've learnt about propagation but it's some years ago now  ::)

As for repotting, the first one definitely looks as though it's been in that pot a long time, if you look at the encrustation around the top of the compost.  I suspect it's also been left sitting in water for long periods of time if you look at the outside of the pot.

I'd suggest a John Innes #2 compost which has more substance than a standard compost.

Thanks so much for that Yorkie :D

A great starting point for me today :L ! :)

So the stuff around the top of the first pot is just due to over watering rather than a fungus then ?

So I'll try and re pot the first one then and take a few leaf cuttings with it ? Bigger pot, less watering :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:47 »
I'd perhaps wait until others confirm this as I'm not a houseplant expert - there is some white mould on the top of the compost too, but I suspect this may also be down to the watering regime.

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:20 »
I would suggest repotting them all in new compost with a sprinkling of BFB added, put them in a position for full light and don't overwater.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

garddwr

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 14:20 »
I would suggest repotting them all in new compost with a sprinkling of BFB added, put them in a position for full light and don't overwater.

Robbo.

Thanks Robbo :) I think repotting is a great idea but the stem on the rex is just loose and brittle on the compost so I'm really nervous about trying to re pott incase its snaps and should I burry the stem so there's only a little bud showing or leave it sitting on top of the compost ?

Thanks

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 15:55 »
I'd agree... first thing to do = repot... then take alook at this

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/begonia-leaf-cuttings/

Dead easy!

I love begoinas... unfortunately all of my surfaces indoors belong to my cats, so no house plant is safe!

xx
Gloxinia houseplant

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2019, 19:45
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Houseplant Ivy dying

Started by hubballi on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 17:27
by joyfull
xx
Houseplant Compost

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 09, 2022, 22:24
by Subversive_plot
xx
Ivy Houseplant leaves dying

Started by hubballi on General Gardening

19 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 12:33
by hubballi

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 33 queries.