Producing juice from blueberries/cranberries etc

• 3 Replies

JohnB47

Producing juice from blueberries/cranberries etc
« on: January 24, 2011, 20:38 »
Hi.

I've never used a juicer, or any such device but I'm hopeful of having a good crop of blueberries and cranberries this year, plus raspberries and some blackcurrants, redcurrents and white currents.

So I'm thinking that producing juice would be a good way to use up the fruit if it all gets too much to eat.

Has anyone any good tips? I did search but only found a very old post that received no replies.

Ideally I want to find a good electric device that will make it very easy.

Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Producing juice from blueberries/cranberries etc
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 22:11 »
I'd have thought that you would be looking at a juicer.  I had a Phillips one some years ago and found the metal mesh sieve / strainer an absolute nightmare to clean all the pith and skins off.

How about looking on freecycle or somewhere?  It's the sort of kitchen gadget that people often have at the back of cupboards until they have a nudge to get rid of it (and I speak from personal experience!!)

The only other thing which occurs, and I don't know how well it would work, would perhaps be a blender - and then strain the resulting mixture very well through a fine sieve.  If you already have a blender you could experiment with fruit from the supermarket now.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 22:13 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 22:56 »
I'd have thought that you would be looking at a juicer.  I had a Phillips one some years ago and found the metal mesh sieve / strainer an absolute nightmare to clean all the pith and skins off.

How about looking on freecycle or somewhere?  It's the sort of kitchen gadget that people often have at the back of cupboards until they have a nudge to get rid of it (and I speak from personal experience!!)

The only other thing which occurs, and I don't know how well it would work, would perhaps be a blender - and then strain the resulting mixture very well through a fine sieve.  If you already have a blender you could experiment with fruit from the supermarket now.

Thanks Yorkie.

Yes, I do have a blender - I'll give it a try using some blueberries I have in the freezer and some fresh cranberries left over from Christmas shopping.

Thanks also for the other tips.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 14:48 »
I have a fruit extracting contraption called "Fruitmaster"  Fill the base with water, bung the fruit in the perforated basket on top, bung the lid on, turn up the heat and away you go!  "Simples" ::) ! ! !  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Cranberries What to do with them?

Started by LilacSandy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 20:25
by chrissie B
xx
What to do with Cranberries

Started by niknik on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 21:30
by niknik
xx
What do people do with cranberries?

Started by SusieB on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 03:15
by Trillium
xx
All the cranberries have gone AWOL

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 11:02
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 35 queries.