any other sugar/wheat free vegans?

• 23 Replies

eli

any other sugar/wheat free vegans?
« on: November 15, 2010, 17:57 »
hello all :-) i'm new here and just havin a good nosey round the forums, great fun :-)

are there any other sugar free wheat free vegans on here, with whom to swap tips and ideas and whatnots?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: any other sugar/wheat free vegans?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 18:49 »
I think we have a few on here who are wheat intollerant and some are vegetarian but not sure if they are vegan. Can I ask why you are following such a restrictive diet - or is it not that restrictive?
Staffies are softer than you think.

eli

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 10:21 »
hiya joyfull :-)
maybe i'll come accross these no-wheaties some time soon!

its not restrictive at all once you get used to it :-)
though it does sound it at a first glance to lots of folk, it just takes a fair bit of application to get yourself up and runnin, then its just as rich and varied as most peoples diets.
and though there's definitely things that i miss eatin, its worth it for me NOT to :-)
the vegan-ness is mainly because i'm not comfortable with eatin animal products.
and the wheat and sugar free-ness is purely health-related, it helps to keep me on an even keel with some health issues that i have goin on.
its had a brilliant effect on my life, though its definitely not for everyone!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:44 »
I used to be a vegetatian as did my youngest son (he decided when he was 7) and am also careful with bread (not sure if it is a wheat allergy though or perhaps it's the yeast as I'm fine with other products made with wheat flour), as for sugar I eat very little - again it could feed the yeast in products (which can cause problems) and also as I'm watching my weight, so I hope you didn't think I was having a go - just curious thats all  :).
Hopefully somebody else will come along and chat. At least on here you will find lots of recipes using fruit, vegetables and eggs  :D 

eli

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 11:38 »
oh i didn't think you were havin a go :-)
its interestin, eh, findin out what other people eat and why!

people often think i'm gonna be a skinny pale little thing when they hear about the diet i have, but i'm a right big lad and not pastyfaced in the slightest, a good advert for vegans in general i think!!
i think wheat and sugar massively effect the mood and wellbein of a lot of poeple, you know, lethargy and tiredness and the like, and for anyone who has problems keepin their moods even and stuff, the sugar is a real biggy.
and yeah, loads of the recipes and stuff on here are great!
i'll hafta start gettin lots of mine up too, if thats possible :-)
i'm new and not yet familiar with how things work round here:-)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 12:01 »
I'm always very interested in why people want to be vegans - which by the way I think is far more logical than being a vegetarian - and how they achieve it.

There are so many animal by products in so many things, wine, medicines, even some brands of bottled water and it's not just food is it but leather, glues, cosmetics and toiletries, clothing, even musical instruments.

Even vegetables labeled "organic" may have been fed with chicken manure or pig slurry.  How do you manage to avoid them all ?

eli

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 14:36 »
yeah, you're right, these things can go back for an incredibly long way and i personally  think its pretty much impossible for a person who's not entirely self-supportin to be entirely vegan, in this country and culture.
every vegan's different i guess, and they all draw different lines which they endeavour not to cross.
me, i don't mind so much that my food is fed usin animal byproducts for example, because i find it too inevitable to lose sleep over. 
though the food i grow myself i strive to grow with vegetable and mineral sources as plant-food, but like you say, the glue that might be used to keep my compost bins or whatever together, and the keys i open my front door with, chances are they've got some kind of critter involved in 'em somewhere :-)
basically, i try to live as simply and non-capitalist-ly as possible really, and this helps to eradicate a lot of un-necessary animal product use.
and not usin alcohol or much prescriction medication and stuff like that is really helpful too!
oh, there's such a lot of 'vegan fascism' about and i'm pretty slack accordin to a lot of folks like that.
i just endeavour to use non-animal sources for most things in my life whenever possible, and it works a lot of the time and doesn't keep me awake at night when it doesn't :-)

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 19:15 »
Hi there
Tho we are not veggie/vegan my hubbie is a Coeliac so we cook gluten free and I bake gluten free cakes, cookies, etc. He makes his own bread but I confess the bakery calls me too loudly!

eli

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25 »
hiya rainbow :-)

ooh, i'd be interested in your fella's bread recipes :-)
i've gotten really into bakin biscuits and cakes and stuff too in the last year or so (i've always been a savoury rather than a sweet kind of guy), and i have finally found a great and reliable scone recipe, which i've been seriously lackin for years!! i can finally have scones and awesome sugar-free jam, which i've REALLY missed!
i'll post it here if you're interested :-)

catllar

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 16:56 »
So you don't drink either, Eli??? :ohmy: :ohmy:

eli

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 18:26 »
nah, i don't drink either! alcohols not my cup of tea, ha ha :-)
but i'm not half so boring as i might sound on paper  ;-)

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 18:41 »
with the sugar free thing, is that all sugar or are you OK with honey, etc?

eli

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 19:01 »
basically, honey, agave syrup and date syrup are all quite easy for my body to process.
maple syrup isn't though, or any kind of actual sugar, like, demerara or white sugar or jaggery for example.

there's some new sweetener come onto the market recently called Sweet Freedom which i've not tried yet, though that seems like it'd be ok, and i think its vegan too.

Junie

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 19:10 »
But honey is not vegan - it is an animal product!

The sweet freedom looks good - and lower cals too apparently.

eli

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 21:03 »
yeah, i know its not vegan :-)
i was just referrin to it bein easy for my body to process :-)
yeah, the sweet freedom stuff sounds like a good alternative to honey. and much cheaper than agave, which is brilliant but very dear

xx
wheat free apple layer cake

Started by kezlou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 09:35
by kezlou
xx
Sugar Free Jam

Started by Glosterboy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 08:30
by Glosterboy
xx
Sugar free cake

Started by maxyboo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 23:42
by sazhig
xx
Vegans and Veggies

Started by mrs bouquet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 00:06
by Caralou

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 35 queries.