wheat less bread recipes

• 20 Replies

Gwiz

wheat less bread recipes
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:36 »
Would any of you Chaps and Chapesses have a recipe for Wheat less bread made in a bread machine? without the use of skimmed milk?
My stupid body has decided that I can no longer eat Gluten without giving me a migraine :mad:

Anxious of Addlestone.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 18:21 by Gwiz »

Trillium

Re: wheat less bread recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 21:22 »
My niece suffers with celiac but unfortunately she doesn't cook at all, so no help there. However, I found this with a variety of possible recipes.

http://www.cookingbread.com/gluten_free.html

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:35 »
Thanks Trillium, I'll pass on the web site to my resident galley slave. :D

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 17:16 »
http://www.mrbreadmaker.co.uk/Manuals/PanasonicSD255.pdf

There are a few in the Panasonic manual Page 20 - 21 .

Can't help with a recipe to make a bread machine though  :D

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 17:55 by Lardman »

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 17:35 »
have you thought about trying spelt flour, it wouldn't be suitable if you are a coeliac sufferer as it still has gluten but it is less refined and an 'older' grain and tastes great too  :lol:

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 18:20 »
Thank you both,
It's the gluten that does for me.
Lardman, I shall amend my earlier post! :D
My good lady wife is going to try out a couple of recipes at the weekend. :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 18:23 by Gwiz »

Poolfield2

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 22:58 »
Gwiz, I've tried loads of recipes and have found nothing that I like but several I can tollerate.

If you can manage to stretch the budget every now and again I would reccommend Genius brown bread at £1.99(I think) in Te**o. In our store it is near the hotcross buns but in some stores it is with the Freefrom foods.

It really is lovely, you can slice it then freeze and just take out a couple of slices at a time as a treat.

Yabba

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 23:04 »
I recently linked lardman to this website ( @link freshloaf ) they have a lot of info about bread. Might be worth a peruse for a gluten free recipe as they *seem* to know their stuff

¥

Poolfield2

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:58 »
Thanks for that link Yabba, it looks really useful.

Gwiz

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:29 »
Thank you all for your replies.
Poolfield, with your recomendation I bought some of the Genius bread, in fact I'm eating a corned beef sandwich as I type this, and you are quite right, this is very nice :)

titch

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 22:56 »
I am making a spelt and rye loaf right now - i cannot eat bread anymore as it gives me a horrible bloaty tummy and its not funny or pleasant. :ohmy: :blink: for me or my family  :blush:

Made a loaf last night, ate some today and so far, none of the usual effects............the first loaf was not dissimilar to the one in the film 'about a boy' that kills the duck - i made the dough in the machine but bake d it in the oven, this time doing thw whole thing in the breadmachine - fingers crossed it works out better.

I will look out the genius bread though and maybe get some to pop in the freezer - sometimes only bread hits the spot, and while i love rice cakes, rye crackers and oatcakes, they are a bit tricky to make a sarnie out of  :lol:

glad you found something that works Gwiz................  :)

just keep breathing................

titch

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 22:29 »
The second loaf of spelt and rye bread was worse than the first  :wacko:- going to dry it out and use it for crumb coating chicken. :D, so all is not lost, but i might take several days til i can dry it out enough

but have looked up some spelt recipes and think i have found a good machine one so have got more flour and will give it another crack!! - not overworking it seems to be the trick and have a fab 1 hour setting on machine so ..... ;)

I bought some of the genius loaf............and it is genius :lol: - other wheat/gluten free loaves i have tried are revolting  :tongue2: :tongue2: but this one is lovely - so have sliced it and put it in the freezer ready for when i need a ready bread fix

on the plus side, have not eaten wheat for 4 days and tummy is happy ......hope you are still enjoying your sandwhiches Gwiz, thanks Poolfield for the nod about the Genius loaf

Gwiz

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 06:29 »
I bought another type of wheatless bread to take with me on holiday next week, I'll let you know what it's like when I get back.
 :)

Poolfield2

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 23:18 »
Do you think they would put me on commission :lol:

Our village shop has started stocking it as there are 5 of us locally who are either Ceoliac or wheat intolerant, like Titch.

Spelt has a less bloating effect on me but if I eat more than the odd slice it gets me just the same as wheat so I'll stick with my Genius. I love ricecakes, ryvita and oatcakes but you are right about it being difficult to make a sarnie with them :wacko:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 08:15 »
thankyou Poolfield for the genius bread tip, I bloat up when I have fresh bread along with stomach pains etc but have bought the wholemeal version of Genius and it's fab. Just had some toasted for breakfast with blackcurrant jam on, yum.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Whole Wheat Bread for the oven!

Started by Becky H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 10:57
by sloegin
xx
Bought bread tears, my bread crumbles, why?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 19:53
by Scribbler
xx
Are you wheat intolerant?

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

39 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 02:00
by flowerpower
xx
any other sugar/wheat free vegans?

Started by eli on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 11:44
by eli

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 36 queries.