Chicken stock

• 16 Replies

sclarke624

Chicken stock
« on: August 28, 2009, 20:30 »
I added two cubes of chicken stock to my fresh tomato sauce for bolegnaise.  I was amazed at how salty it made the sauce.  I never add salt to my cooking, so it was really noticable.  Are there any brands which are not so salty.

I'm not sure how to make homemade stock, I know, I know just never learnt how.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Chicken stock
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 20:57 »
Save all your chicken bones and carcasses in the freezer.  When you have a good amount put in a saucepan with all your old veg in the fridge eg onions, carrots, celery, leeks.  No spuds, no greenstuff.  Add a few peppercorns, a couple of bay leaves, any other hard herb you have also.  Absolutely no salt.  Cover with water and simmer for a few hours skimming the top occasionally.  You can leave it simmering away happily for as long as you like.  The more you reduce it the stronger the stock will be.  Strain, cool and store in fridge or freezer.

This uses up leftovers, inedible bits and saves a fortune.  You also control the salt in your food.
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 20:58 »
Take chicken carcas and skin, cover with water, add chopped onion carrot herbs, celery if you have it, bring to boil, then turn to simmer for a couple of hours. Strain  and season to taste.
Sometimes, nowadays, you have to boil hard to reduce it to get any flavout to speak of. :(
It depends I suppose on the quality of your chicken ::)

Sorry Ice you beat me to it :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 21:02 »
 :tongue2:

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 21:20 »
Thanks for that.  OH doesn't put salt on his food at all either from choice not health, so tasted even more salty to him.

Parsnip

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 22:44 »
Stock cubes are very salty..... :wacko: For cheating I use the knorr touch of taste bottles of stock. It's a bit more expensive but not saltyand a much better flavour. Nigella uses it and if it's good enough for Nigella, it's good enough for me... :D

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 08:46 »
if you have to use a stock cube for flavour use 1/2 of one and no extra salt.
I always have stock in the freezer made as suggested here, it's much better.
Also if I make up a batch of really nice gravy from a roast etc I make a bit too much and freeze it, then if you make a meal that requires gravy, but has no meat juices to make it nice, just use  the frozen stuff to enrich your gravy granule stuff.  :)
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 12:18 »
if you have to use a stock cube for flavour use 1/2 of one and no extra salt.
Think I made a mistake then using two and only about a pint and half of water.  Stupid me.  Treated them like oxo cubes.

For cheating I use the knorr touch of taste bottles of stock. It's a bit more expensive but not saltyand a much better flavour. Nigella uses it and if it's good enough for Nigella, it's good enough for me... :D

That sounds good, parsnip.  If I don't get to make my own stock, I'll try that. 

Only recently started using whole chickens as we have had chicken breast for about 25 years.  I remember one day when the kids were small working out that it was cheaper and more meat on a breast than a whole chicken. 

A couple of months ago my daughter cooked us a whole chicken I was amazed by how much meat was on it, and since trying myself there was enough meat on my chickens to use instead of breast.  They must have started plumping the chickens up a bit in the past 20 years.  I used to be hard up so I must of had a good reason.  Chicken breast used to be reasonable price but its shot up nowdays.

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 06:15 »
If you have a friendly butcher, ask him nicely and he can usually provide chicken carcasses. I leave my stock in the oven (aga) overnight. Tastes great but makes house smell a bit meaty come the morning!

NB Use saucepan with no plastic bits on!

Swing Swang

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 07:03 »
Butcher great source of stock bones, but roast them first before making the stock for a better flavour.

SS

madcat

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:35 »
If I do need a bit of stock (and haven't any proper stock in the fridge), Marigold vegetable stock powder in the drums has enough oomph to replace chicken for most things and isn't as salty as most stock cubes.  They do an organic one too, but I have to confess that I use the the standard - available from all good supermarkets, as they say! 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Cazzy

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 15:51 »
One of my plot neighbours recently mentioned the high salt content of Knorr cubes and advised using Kallo cubes if homemade stock isn't available.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

tode

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 15:55 »
Think you just used too much !
The Boss uses 2 cubes for 7 litres (whatever that is in pints).

sclarke624

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 00:44 »
Think you just used too much !
The Boss uses 2 cubes for 7 litres (whatever that is in pints).
Would seem so as 7 litres is about 3 and half bottles of coke size LOL (addict) and I used the equivalent of not even half a 2ltre bottle.

Found some of the stock parsnip reccomended today, so gonna try that and ask the butcher in the village for some bones.........yes we actually have a butchers shop......few and far between now. Very expensive in there though, as its a flashy one with all sorts of awards.

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 13:24 »
Stock cubes are very salty..... :wacko: For cheating I use the knorr touch of taste bottles of stock. It's a bit more expensive but not saltyand a much better flavour. Nigella uses it and if it's good enough for Nigella, it's good enough for me... :D
Parsnip triied it loved it.
Thanks

xx
chicken stock the muntjac way

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 10, 2006, 16:57
by Annie
xx
Pants- chicken stock

Started by Etherelda on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 23:56
by Etherelda
xx
Chicken stock. Sage (pun intended) advice...

Started by Gleavo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2021, 09:18
by Yorkie
xx
Veg stock

Started by sawnee on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 16:34
by Trillium

Page created in 1.317 seconds with 36 queries.