chicken stock the muntjac way

• 6 Replies

muntjac

« on: December 09, 2006, 21:19 »
put as many carcassses you can in an 8 litre pot with a lid , fill with water and add onion carrots and 4 cloves garlic just thrown in whole. very low simmer for the day topping it up half way through , let it go cold over night and take the bones out strippping any meat off them into a seperate bowl... sieve the remainder of stock . removing any little bones . put back in pot and simmer until its reduced to a litre add the meat you saved . puree the onion carrot garlic add this to the pot you can add a few provencal herbs at this point if you wish a couple of level teaspoons only . cool and freeze in plastic milk bottles .leave the tops of until its frozen soild , label and use in 6 mths
still alive /............

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:04 »
Real stocks are the basis of great meals.  Nice one Karl, thanks
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 11:19 »
dunno about that mate , my mam used to strain the bits out agin after she was ready to bottle it n we have that as soup with a lump dry bread we was never hungry thanks to her

Annie

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 14:47 »
I do something similar.We always buy whole chicks and joint ourselves and I put the carcasses in the freezer until I have enough,usually three.Because the carcass has not been cooked first the meat is still tasty and the whole makes fab soup.I am at a loss to understand why some younger people at work think doing this kind of thing is hard work,if it were I wouldn`t be doing it.However I do miss my pressure cooker which made it all quicker.

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 15:56 »
i have 3 a pressure cookers and wouldnt be without one for tastier food . rabbit cooked for 14 mins ina pc is beyond compare with boiled or roasted  fried ....i cook my hams in my big prestige high dome its ancient. and still in full use. i take the seal out hot mould it back to shape and then stick in cold water each time i use it  , steamed cooked is best . or microwaved  white turnips for 4 mins with butter n black pepper , parsnips microwaved are yum . then mash n pepper em , dam im having toad in the hole for my dinner n cant wait now lollo

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 16:00 »
I tired for ages to get a new inner rubber ring for my pressure cooker, then got rid of it in the end as we'd had it for ever!!!!  But I do miss it.

I make my own chicken stock, but when I mentioned it to my brother who is always moaning about not having any money, he says, Oh Gina doesn't do things like that, its easier to buy stock cubes in Nettos!!

Annie

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 16:57 »
We got an induction hob when the old one died but we haven`t been able to find a pressure cooker to use on it yet.On the plus side we have a noticable drop in electricity bills after ditching the electric kettle and using a whistling one the hob.

What is so hard about throwing a few things in a pan,leaving to simmer for a few hours and straining?And real stock,yum,I very rarley cook rice in plain water now.

xx
Chicken stock

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 17:02
by Ice
xx
Pants- chicken stock

Started by Etherelda on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 23:56
by Etherelda
xx
Chicken stock. Sage (pun intended) advice...

Started by Gleavo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2021, 09:18
by Yorkie
xx
Muntjac's Recipies

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

61 Replies
Last post November 11, 2007, 23:57
by mushroom

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 38 queries.