Is there a best aubergine for growing in the UK

• 14 Replies

missmoneypenny

Is there a best aubergine for growing in the UK
« on: September 04, 2020, 07:57 »
I’d like to try aubergines next year having seen some at the allotment grow them very successfully. Does anyone know if there’s a variety that does particularly well here? I don’t have a greenhouse.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Is there a best aubergine for growing in the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 09:43 »
I have grown Jewel this year and it was in the greenhouse, but didn’t seem to like it much in there.  It has been outside for weeks now and has been very productive.

I think your main issue is that aubergines need a long growing season, so you need a plan for starting early with sowing, then having some protected growing space to get them over the spring and early summer period.

They are not cheap, but grafted plants might be the answer.  They are usually mail order and get sent out a bit later than most veg plants.  When I worked at the garden centre, we planted up a display of gyo including one and got a great crop. That was in an area with a roof over it (outdoor selling space for bedding plants) but not inside as such  :)

jambop

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:25 »
I grow aubergines... I have no idea why they have to be one of the least nutritious things to grow in a veg plot :lol: I suppose they can be made to taste good by adding all sorts of other things to them  and improve the situation .

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 11:21 »
I've grown the standard Black Beauty this year with good success, but that was under cover not outside.

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 19:12 »
I grow aubergines... I have no idea why they have to be one of the least nutritious things to grow in a veg plot :lol: I suppose they can be made to taste good by adding all sorts of other things to them  and improve the situation .

Couldn't agree more! I grow at least one plant every year, with varying degrees of success, but always, always as it comes to harvest time think to myself 'why?'

jambop

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 19:22 »

Couldn't agree more! I grow at least one plant every year, with varying degrees of success, but always, always as it comes to harvest time think to myself 'why?'

To cut aubergines some slack they themselves may be very nondescript but they can bemade to taste really nice by cooking them with other additives, as said. And one of my particular favorites is having them preserved in oil with sun dried tomatoes and herbs I cannot think of a better anti pasta with lovely crusty dense Italian bread ... or at home lovely crusty but much lighter French baguette... and of course moussaka or eggplant Parmigiana ... maybe they are not that bad after all  :lol:   

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 19:23 »
They're a great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, thiamine, niacin, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, copper, fiber, folic acid, potassium, and more. 

Sometimes people are too reliant on too much oil for cooking them.  When we are getting them ready for "eggplant" Parmesan, or vegetable lasagna, we slice into rounds, oil lightly, and cook in the oven on baking sheets before using.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

wolveryeti

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 22:32 »
I would say Slim Jim for outdoor UK growing. Smaller fruits so more likelihood you will get something for your trouble.

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_1810B_aubergine_slim_jim

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 09:55 »
The Jewel I grew this year are mini aubergines. I have a recipe for them where you get the skins charred, peel them off, then flatten the aubergine into a fan shape. You leave the stem and sepals on for this.

Then dip in seasoned beaten egg and shallow fry for 4-5 mins per side. Eat straight away with a hot spicy sauce or a vinegar based dipping sauce.  There is nothing bland or tasteless about this dish  :D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 09:56 by New shoot »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 14:52 »
Agreed New Shoot, I made a mousakka with my Black Beauties and the aubergine taste cut right through the sauce and was delicious!

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 14:52 »
I have had decent success with the smaller varieties over the allotment. Much p[refer the smaller ones as they last a long time on the plant so don't get a glut or only use half of one.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 20:24 »
Thanks everyone, I’ve been away for a few days and didn’t think aubergines would  evoke so many answers! I agree about longest possible growing season. I’ll start off in feb indoors. My aim is to make a ratatouille exclusively from my own produce in 2021, this year I only had tomatoes, courgettes, garlic and onion.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 20:44 »
Don't want to interfere with your plans to grow aubergines next year, but there are lots of recipes for aubergine-free ratatouille available online...  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

missmoneypenny

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 21:39 »
Aubergine free ratatouille  :ohmy. That’s a travesty.  :)

Longshanks

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 09:07 »
I've grown aubergines for the last few years in my polytunnel. Well the plants grew nicely and I got the purple flowery things, but no fruit. But this year, I have one aubergine and loads of flowery things. Exciting.

xx
Aubergine help

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2016, 12:17
by Kenilworth
clip
Aubergine rot?

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2019, 09:19
by Twood
xx
Aubergine

Started by veginbeds on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 23:01
by veginbeds
xx
Aubergine Q

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 17:46
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 55 queries.