Composting after weedkiller

• 6 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Composting after weedkiller
« on: October 23, 2020, 08:28 »
I've subjected the garden at our new house to a healthy dose of glysophate. Everything looks to be dying off nicely, the question is, can I compost the plants safely? I know that glyosphate breaks down over time in soil so I assume it'll do the same in the heap. It's also rained a fair amount since I sprayed so I guess quite a lot of residue will have been washed off by now.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Composting after weedkiller
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 12:09 »
It will break down, so you will be fine.  It can take up to 6 weeks to get right down into the roots of some stuff, so don't be too much of hurry to dig everything up though  :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 13:00 »
It will break down, so you will be fine.  It can take up to 6 weeks to get right down into the roots of some stuff, so don't be too much of hurry to dig everything up though  :)

That's what I thought! I can see the stuff that's already dying and that's what I'll remove first. Anything that looks healthy still I'll leave in place and maybe give a 2nd dose. Thank you as always!

jezza

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 20:21 »
Hello glyphosate is a translocated hormone weedkiller ie the weedkiller enters the leaves and travels down to the roots and back up to the leaves and down again bursting the internal cells causing wilting so it should be ok to compost, it will take longer this time of year to work as the ambient temperature is getting lower  jezza

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 23:24 »
Thanks Jezza. It's a brand new heap so I wont see any compost from it for a while anyway. Sadly I've got to adjust to a garden's worth of compost per annum and not the luxery of an allotment's bounty!

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 05:50 »
Thanks Jezza. It's a brand new heap so I wont see any compost from it for a while anyway. Sadly I've got to adjust to a garden's worth of compost per annum and not the luxery of an allotment's bounty!

Interesting that you mention this, P1P, as we did exactly the same a couple of years ago, and this year I even dug out the huge compost heap we have at home for more growing area due to the Covid lockdown!

A neighbour gave me her beehive composter, which we filled by lunchtime, so we're back to the heap again, with all the stuff from the pots and trays and grobags, happily breaking down in the same spot!

I guess I'll just let it fester all winter, give it a good till in the spring, use it for the bottom layer of all the toms, bedding plants etc., we have in trays, and grow beans on the newly levelled (?) area! I suppose some of it is from old seed compost we've collected for ages. We always replenish the nutrients, give it a once-over to get rid of the slug eggs, and away we go!

jezza

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 18:35 »
Hello if you can get hold of leaves they make good compost  jezza

xx
What do you do once you used weedkiller?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 16:21
by splodger
xx
weedkiller

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 23:12
by Salmo
xx
Weedkiller

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2015, 10:05
by mdjlucan
xx
weedkiller

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 20:11
by tode

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 47 queries.