Morrisons offers - compost & terracotta pots

• 4 Replies

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
Morrisons offers - compost & terracotta pots
« on: April 02, 2014, 21:18 »
I was in Morrisons today and saw they had some good offers on. New Horizon organic multipurpose compost (50l) £4 each or 3 for the price of 2. The corner of one of the bags was split so I got a look at it, and it seems to be quite good quality - mostly dark/fine but some un-decomposed fibrous material (presumably coco coir).

They also have 10" (approx.) terracotta pots @ £1 each (may be reduced to 50p in some branches), 33cm terracotta pots @ 2 for £7, and offers on 40l bags of bark chippings/Morrisons brand multipurpose compost (40l I think), but I cant remember the prices apart from the Morrisons compost which I think was £3.50 a bag.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
Re: Morrisons offers - compost & terracotta pots
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:44 »
Just to add, I opened up a bag of the New Horizon compost to use for sowing seeds, and it is a bit "twiggy", but otherwise quite good. Certainly no worse than anything else I've tried in the last couple of years. At about 5p per liter I'm seriously considering going back for another 9 bags!

LilacSandy

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:50 »
May be ok for potting on but I am happy to pay just that little bit extra for my Gro well, silky soft, no bits and no dampening off with vulnerable seeds.  Really do believe that you get what you pay for.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:01 »
If you're worried about damping off, a light spray of the surface with 2% hydrogen peroxide solution should prevent that. I didn't try it with the batch of seeds I sowed yesterday, so we'll see if there are any problems with this compost.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 22:43 »
No problems so far. The cucumbers seem to like it - 7 out of 8 are up and not a sign of damping off :)

I went back to Morrisons today to pick up more NH compost. They only had two left, so I grabbed them, and got a 40l bag of Morrisons own brand for free after asking at the customer services desk.

cuc01_r.jpg
cuc02_r.jpg
cuc03_r.jpg

xx
Terracotta pots at Morrison's

Started by Faz on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 00:01
by JABBERWOCKI
xx
12" Terracotta pots at The Range

Started by Tenhens on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2015, 08:34
by cadalot
xx
re: Morrisons shrub pots

Started by rhythmvick on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 10:17
by rhythmvick
xx
Morrisons

Started by ulsterfairy on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 20:08
by ulsterfairy

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 29 queries.