Asparagus from seed?

• 4 Replies

woodburner

Asparagus from seed?
« on: April 24, 2008, 18:21 »
Looking for information on asparagus I come across first Bob Flowerdew's recommendation to grow it from seed then, looking at the seed catalogues, this interesting method :arrow:
Rather than the traditional permanent Asparagus bed system of culture, the best method – and certainly the best for gluttons – is to adopt a four-season cycle sowing seed annually: first year sow the seed, thinning or planting out to 2 ft. or so apart; second season hands off (but keep the weeds at bay); third season you may ration yourself to a few shoots; the fourth season you let yourself go and cut shoots without a second thought for the poor plant which is now doomed! At the end of this fourth season, the crowns are dug up and used for forcing.

It seems that this method at least removes the worry about how much you can cut, and possibly gives more control over weeds and soil condition.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated on both this and the more traditional method of growing from crowns. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Trillium

Asparagus from seed?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 18:34 »
Bob always gives good information. And this method depends on whether or not you've the time to spend digging and reseeding. You'll also need extra space to keep starting new seeds.
Guess I'm basically the lazy type - put in good sized roots which will give me a modest cutting the 2nd yr, and lots the 3rd yr. I simply catch any weeds early and small and there's no problem. Mulch also helps.

gobs

Asparagus from seed?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 20:18 »
As Trill says, definitely for those with  the acres and time to spare to be awkward, as it will take up more space than planting a few more crowns, which with some care should produce for 20 years or so.

Also, the better producers are the male crowns, as they don't want to produce babies, you can't get seed for these strains for obvious reasons, so even more plants you need, I suss for a good crop.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

woodburner

Asparagus from seed?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 23:02 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Also, the better producers are the male crowns, as they don't want to produce babies, you can't get seed for these strains for obvious reasons, so even more plants you need, I suss for a good crop.

Actually there is an F1 hybrid that produces 100% male plants. It's really pricey though.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Asparagus from seed?
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 23:44 »
yes - to get a reasonable ongoing crop you would virtually have to have a whole lottie strip devoted just to asparagus.......... its feasible if you run a couple of lotties but otherwise it just takes up too much valuable space for one crop.....
Death OR Cake ???

xx
asparagus from seed?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 09:04
by Kristen
xx
Asparagus from seed

Started by Sprout on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 12:10
by Quetzal
xx
Asparagus from seed

Started by Longshanks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 21:40
by Subversive_plot
xx
Asparagus from seed

Started by weeeed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 23:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.