when should I sow sweetcorn?

• 46 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: when should I sow sweetcorn?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 08:20 »
We bought our sweetcorn plants from the garden centre 16 in total in one pot so I transplanted them all into seperate bigger pots yesterday, they dont seem to have minded being transplanted ( yet ).

The roots are brittle, but I think its more of a problem when planting them out. I have read plenty of posts here from people who grow them in modules / small pots and plant out as they would do with anything else and have a great crop. So no need to worry, but perhaps be especially gentle when planting out to keep the root disturbance to a minmum.

My seed packet says "Sow singly in 3" pots of see compost ... gradually harden off before planting outside ..." which suggests there is no problem, but my gardening books all say to use Peat pots or similar to avoid root disturbance. Ho!Hum!

My concern is that the roots grow out of the bottom of my paper pots within 2 weeks of germination, and the "pots" are 5" - 6" deep - much deeper than ordinary pots - so I think plants grown in small pots will be starved of root space quickly, and that may have a knock on effect.

I planted out my first batch last year on 4th May. We had a couple of frosts after that, and I fleeced them successfully, so I think you'll be fine.  However, those plants from the first crop were much smaller than the ones I grew later ...

"I wasnt intending to plant out until the end of may so at the moment they are sitting i on the windowsill they rage in size between 4 and 2 inches but are they going to be too big if I leave it untill end of may ?"

I reckon they will be huge by end of May! but I think you can plant out sooner (if you have some fleece to protect them).  Put them out during the day so that they start to harden off, and that will also slow down their growth rate.  After 4 or 5 days you should be able to leave them out at night if the forecast is very mild (8C or warmer) - and provided nothing will eat them!

I'm planning on popping them in this weekend in our unheated greenhouse. Are paper pots the method of choice then?

64 million pound question! All I can say is that it has worked well for me.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:23 by Kristen »

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
Re: when should I sow sweetcorn?
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 08:32 »
I wouldn't be without the paper pots for my sweetcorn and for a few other veg for just putting straight into the ground once the plants inside them get to the right stage. I find them so much easier and safer than removing the plant from the normal pot and risk damaging them as they get transplanted: I am a bit clumsy, you see!

I just use a standard variety of paper pot found in abundance at the garden centre. They worked a treat last year at any rate.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

xx
Sweetcorn in...

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 09:02
by bigben
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by suecoops on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 23:03
by muntjac
question
Sweetcorn

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 16:52
by JayG
xx
What sweetcorn please?

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 08:37
by MyAchingBack

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 32 queries.