Rhubarb Splitting Concerns

• 6 Replies

Beloved Porcupine

Rhubarb Splitting Concerns
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:29 »
I have two Stockbridge Arrow rhubarb that seemed a bit over-crowded (it was less productive last year).  So we split them today.  I was told to dig wide and deep, but there seemed to be only one large tap root on each, like an underground trunk.  Not what we were expecting!  :ohmy:

We split the plants with a few eyes on each, and planted them out but I can't see how they will survive with no propper, smallish roots.  Is this normal or have I just killed my rhubarb? 
I can resist anything except temptation.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Rhubarb Splitting Concerns
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 12:44 »
They don't seem to make many small roots, do they, I noticed the same when I split mine up a week or so ago.
As long as there are some eyes, to grow, the pieces should still transplant ok.

spadework

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 13:08 »
Rhubarb originates from Siberia and is as tough as they come. Prior to early crop forcing it was recommended to dig up the crowns leaving the frosts to penetrate then bringing them into warmer conditions where rapid growth would ensue.

Those elephant trunk roots hold the energy for growth. As long as there are growth buds the plant will grow. Picking can begin the season after. : :)

Christine

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 13:44 »
Agree with spadework - you can't pick this year as you want the new crowns to get their strength up.  Give them a good mulch of well rotted manure to help them along. And dream of next year.

And yes - roots on rhubarb are like nothing else I've ever met in a long growing life. The daughter and her husband dug out a root which was well past it's productive years and nearly in an elderly hedge last autumn on my allotment and you should have seen what came out. It wasn't worth splitting as it was rotting in places and I have other crowns too. But it was an experience.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 15:45 »
Even next year pick sparingly, a lot of people seem to struggle with getting rhubarb going & I think it is because of those roots, they take a while to really get settled down & people pick too soon. After they forced those frosted roots those crowns were discarded as it had weakened the plants & they were big roots.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beloved Porcupine

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 16:00 »
Thank you all for the confirmation!  They have had a good mulch and water and hopefully on their way.

I read a bunch of articles about splitiing but none prepared us for the root, lol.  My husband reckons I could dig it up, leave out in the winter, set fire to it, throw it over the hedge and it would still probably grow (no, he is NOT allowed to do this).

I realised that when I split them, I would probably not be able to pick them this year- again, thanks for confirming this.  I have two other varities I can harvest, so no rhubarb famine for us.  :D

TA!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 17:58 »
One of my crowns originated from my boss's garden when we moved to Cumbria 47 years ago. Pieces of it were dug up and replanted when we subsequently moved house. Pieces are also in my son's and my daughter's gardens. Indestructible is an apt description

xx
splitting rhubarb

Started by dshand on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 26, 2008, 21:31
by naturesparadise
xx
Splitting rhubarb

Started by BrynsMum on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2022, 17:53
by Offwego
xx
Rhubarb Crowns - Moving and splitting

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2018, 19:35
by snowdrops
xx
Forcing/splitting rhubarb and nettle feed

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 14:57
by wendycas

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 40 queries.