Potatoes in Bags

• 37 Replies

CARROTTCRUNCHER

• THE START OF SOMETING GOOD...
Potatoes in Bags
« on: January 29, 2009, 22:25 »
Hi just signed up after reading on here for the last five months. We my partner and i have just taken on a new allotment and we have naerly finnished preparing it all . we would like to grow some potatoes in large rubble sacks that we have bought and i know we will have to put some drainage holes in them i would really like to here from anyone who grows there pots in bags to let us know is it a good idea or are there any down falls by doing it this way ... look forward to your replys mny thanks carrottcruncher...

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Potatoes in Bags
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 22:41 »
Hi carrottcruncher welcome to the forums  :D

I've only done the odd bag just to see, punched holes in the bottom with a fork and filled with coil/compost mix. Nice spuds  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Frecks

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 19:06 »
D-I-L pointed out that the reusable bags from a certain supermarket are made from the same material as advertised potato growing bags.  Has anyone tried using these?  Certainly much cheaper if you don't mind the bright blue!

CARROTTCRUNCHER

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 19:13 »
I know blue is bright but now that you have mentioned this i think i will turn some of the bags inside out to reveal the nice shiny black i bought 30 bags to plant so half blue half black who knows it may have an efect on quality of spuds . How does this sound .

Frecks

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 19:52 »
Sounds good except that my bags are white inside!  So we've got a three way experiment.  I'll go for it and we'll see what happens.  What spuds do you plant to plant?

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 20:06 »
30? ! Did they have that many on one till? Did you have enough shopping to fill them?

I'm having visions of the cashier ringing the silent alarm for the shopper who got bags for invisible shopping!  :ohmy: :wacko: :nowink: :blush:  :D
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

CARROTTCRUNCHER

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 21:53 »
Sorry woodburner i mean im going to plant thirty bags up i have not bought thirty bags of seed pots ..  :D

CARROTTCRUNCHER

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 22:02 »
Not sure what variety am going to grow will decide this weekend and order all my seeds as time is getting very close now, We been browsing a couple of seed catalogues they seem same on prices . where do you get your seeds from and have you tried cheap seeds from wilkos or pound shop if so how have you got on with them . Or should we stick to well known suppliers..

sclarke624

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 23:29 »
Don't forget yer independant nurseries, I went to one for my seed tats and they were just £1.10 a kilo.  then there are Wyevales, Haskins garden centres probably a bit dearer than the independants where you can buy just one tat if you want BUT no postage to pay.  Don't know how near you are to a nursery.  The tats in our B&Q looked a bit tatty to be honest.  ::) :D

I only ever growin great big pots (approx 24" wide) or garden tidy bags the pop up ones or year before last in old compost bags.  All seemm fine to me, didn't use the compost bags last year cos they looked a bit untidy thats all.  If you use bags or the pop ups I mentioned you can roll down bag and roll up as you go so they get some light, or the pop ups I tie down to make smaller via tying the handle to little tag on the bottom either side.  Dry out quicker than in the ground so make sure remember to water.  Found Charlottes gave me a great yield last year and Lady christl not so good a yield but hey different years could be different story.  I also used Chicken poo as fertilizer as one of my independants sell big pots buy one get one free and each pot is 50% extra as well, they are outside at mo' so not sure of size (approx bucket size).  I suppose you know about covering up the shoots with compost as they grow till you get to top of bag (accepted) or wherever you want to stop (run out of money for compost) :D.

30 reusable bags must have cost a lorra money if you mean the ones you put your shopping in?

Oh yeah a lot of peeps turn compost bags inside out so black outside absorbs the heat.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 23:43 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 08:17 »
What sized bag would be ideal for this. I was thinking of harvesting some as "early" and some later. After reading the potatoes in clay soul thread I am thinking that bags are the way forward for me. Will any bag do, cos I use megazorb bedding for the rabbits and that comes in a strong sack, so I could use those for free.

CARROTTCRUNCHER

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 09:11 »
We bought our bags from B&Q the extra heavy duty rubble sacks £3.49 for ten bags,i think we should see a couple of years out of them. All our beds are raised but the one im going to grow in with the bags i have left empty so when the spuds are ready i will just tip them out and fill the bed up with the soil i would like to think by doing it this way i will be able to keep the ground clean and have no spuds left to grow in the ground..

Frecks

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 14:51 »
Now that's a great idea, carrotcruncher.  It'll help me fill all those new raised beds I'm planning!  Think I'll toddle along to the local B&Q and buy a bunch of the rubble bags and give the s/market ones back to DIL.
I usually buy seed potatoes from T&M - my nearest local independent is some 12 miles away.  We do have a local Wilco now - they moved in when M&S closed - so will have a look there.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 18:42 »
Not sure what variety am going to grow
I've had really good crops of Maris Peer, first earlies in pop up bags and in heavy duty rubble bags too. Sarted them off inside and moved them outside about April before bags were too full up to move.
I'm going to have a go this year with just one tuber in a big pot.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Bobbeh

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 23:56 »
I have a question that I'll try sticking here rather than create another potato thread. :D

Is there an optimum number of tubers to plant per bag/container to get the most out of a certain size/soil capacity?

Tom1

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 02:03 »
ive grown spuds in bags,bins,raised beds. and i find the bags best i put about4-6 seed spuds in round the edge about 3-4inches in and as they grow iroll the bag higher and then cover with compost/soil or whatever is available and have had some good results and some poor, i think it depends on the weather.lol
tom1

xx
Potatoes in bags

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 16:58
by Iain@JBA
xx
potatoes in bags

Started by JudyB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 12:54
by whiskywill
xx
Potatoes in bags

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2018, 13:17
by Dantheman
xx
potatoes in bags

Started by shankers on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 15:48
by mrsparkle

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 38 queries.