Rabbit Manure

• 2 Replies

PhilandCath

Rabbit Manure
« on: August 04, 2009, 17:42 »
We are new to this forum and in our first year as allotmenteers(?) We are having great fun with a vague idea of what we are doing and have been given two big bags of rabbit manure. Can someone help us and advise how the manure should be applied to the soil. Should it be composted first (We have kitchen waste composting nicely on the plot)
Thank you in advance for your help
Phil and Cath

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: Rabbit Manure
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 17:57 »
Hi PhilandCath, welcome to the forums  :)

I'm glad you asked this because I gave in to my two little darlings *ahem* last week and bought them a bunny and boy does he produce a lot of poop!

handy though that unlike the chicken manure he pops them out in convenient pellets!

I don't know the correct answer, although I would guess that if you plan to plant into the soil straight away that maybe compost them first to take the acidic edge off... then again, I don't know if rabbits pee or not, or whether their poop is pure... um... poop (I mention this because chickens don't pee and thier manure is some of the strongest around so best to apply it to ground you're not planting in for a couple of months or put it on the compost, and horse manure can be too strong when new partly because of the amount of horse pee in it).

someone who, unlike me, isn't just guessing will be along in a moment!

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Re: Rabbit Manure
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 19:52 »
Rabbits do wee :) I use some of the poops as needed and compost those that are mixed with the hay and litter (and rabbit wee). Rabbits can be litter tray trained so cleaning up is nice an easy.

If you use them without composting you do need to dig them in. Left on the surface they tend to just dry out and not break down.

xx
Rabbit manure

Started by Newlygreenfingered on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 11:36
by EllenJane
xx
rabbit manure / bedding

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 17, 2013, 13:02
by 3759allen
xx
rabbit manure as fertiliser

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2021, 18:23
by Ema
xx
rabbit manure / bedding available in Norwich

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post December 27, 2013, 17:16
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.