What a Difference a Day Makes

• 5 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
What a Difference a Day Makes
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:55 »
Hi Everyone,

I posted in The Hen House yesterday that our top hen passed on and you all have sent such kind and comforting condolences.  Thank you!  My husband after stating emphatically yesterday afternoon that there would be no more hens - he just couldn't go through this again, Has had a rethink! We're going to give it a week to insure that there's nothing sinister going on health-wise with the remaining two and then next weekend, get several new hens.  We woke up this morning talking about what we will do differently this time around, how we will help the hens adjust to new flock mates and possibly what kind to get this time round.  Our hearts still ache for Repecka, but life goes on and we have decided that we just can't do without at least five hens!   ::)  Just thought I'd share this long but good news.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Little red

Re: What a Difference a Day Makes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 15:34 »
Hi
I'm glad you are getting new girls as i know how heartbreaking it is to lose 1.
When i had to PTS my last girl i could not stop crying and when i later had to go shopping i ended up crying in the middle of Morrisons :(

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 22:09 »
Well done LittleRedHen I know what you mean. Have to move on. I sat out today in sun missing Bess loads but enjoying watching Mo and her chicks out of coop into the garden for the first time joining Minnie and her chick, A few minor warning pecks but some great communal sunbathing. Still not sure whether to get a couple more layers.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:52 »
I was sorry to hear about the loss of your top hen - I know what it is like as we lost the last of our original hens at the weekend. I think that you are right to get some more - both for you and for the other hens - it is much better to have at least 5/6 hens in a flock.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:54 »
I'm glad that you said 5 or six hens in a flock.  My husband says to just get two more and I say three.  Our last two hens are just wandering around aimlessly.  Neither one wants to be top hen.  I'll be glad when next weekend comes.  Thank you, again, for all your warm support!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:19 »
I hope that you find some new friends for you girls.  I have all mine in the garden most days, 6 hybrids, 2 bantams and 11 bantam chicks (nearly fully grown).  It is lovely to watch them all interact, even the odd squabble can be amusing.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Makes my coop look paltry

Started by Beano on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 14:58
by Beano
xx
The Daily Coop - Beyonce makes her mark

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 09:38
by OpiumEater

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 28 queries.