new additions to my coop

• 7 Replies

Lynda_T

new additions to my coop
« on: September 23, 2009, 18:24 »
Hi I got got 3 new light sussex today to add to my wee family of 2 brahma's and one Ancona cross which are 10weeks onwards...these new girls will be a year in November and are laying.  My other three girls are avoiding them like the plague!
Im hopeing the pecking order will sort itself out!! My OH is now saying ive upset the carma of the coup!!
Does anyone know how long it will take b4 or if ever they will all get on!

slightly worried!!!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 22:02 by Ice »

Lynda_T

Re: new additions to my coup
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 19:48 »
pics of my girls
new hens1.jpg

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 20:16 »
Hi Lynda. :)

I would keep an eye on them. The new girls might well exploit the younger ones as they're so much smaller and timid. It could mean they get pecked and bullied away from the food.

If need be, can you divide the run so they can see each other without bullying ?

You may be lucky and find they settle down quickly but don't be too upset if there's tears before bedtime  :unsure:

Rob 8)

Lynda_T

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 20:28 »
Thanks Rob, the new crew took over the coup and pushed my other 3 girls out, but with a little encouragement on my part they all ventured back in and after a bit of a poking and prodding they are now all tucked up.....tomorow is a new day!
Will keep a beady eye on them if i have to seperate them how long will i do that for?

thanks for ur reply!

nzdunn

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 21:41 »
lovely new girls you have there, i would just see how they get on, to keep on separating them will get you no where unless you decide to keep them separate permantly, a pecking order needs to be established, i would just leave them to it.   I introduced my two new girls to my 3  girls this morning, i was amazed actually cause top hen winnie was not interested in them at all, 2nd in command cassie wasnt that bothered either but kept an eye on them, it was actually hazel 3rd in line that was the one doing all the chasing and pecking, she wanted to make sure i expect that they were beneth her, it went very well actually.   nickyx

Lynda_T

Re: new additions to my coop
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 11:28 »
 :D Im like the proudest of mums one of my new girls who my son has named ASDA! has just laid thats my first ever EGG!  im sooo chuffed to bits! lol thought id share it with u all!!

Is it better to pop them straight in the fridge or just leave them at room temp, the woman i got these hens from advisied chilling them as they have been in the company of a cockerel?? Tempted to hatch a wee chick now lol
 :tongue2:

nzdunn

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 13:10 »
arh congratulations, your first egg, dont know about putting eggs in the fridge though.  nickyx

Lynda_T

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 14:04 »
Thanks nicky ive had a secon egg today too! soo chuffed  :D

xx
Welcome the new additions

Started by slowef on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 20:35
by chicksforkicks
xx
New additions!

Started by Paganchick on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 13:24
by Roughlee Handled
xx
new additions

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 18:44
by chelseablue
xx
New additions and egg colour question!

Started by clairebeau on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 21:26
by Foxy

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 35 queries.