soft shell eggs

• 5 Replies

chickadee

soft shell eggs
« on: September 23, 2009, 17:20 »
one of my warrens 18 month old has been laying soft shells and very pale shell (almost white) for a a few months now, she has laid an egg a day give or take a day since having her laying the occasional double yolker she has plenty of grit and oyster shell, cooked crushed egg shell and have also given her limestone flour they have all lost feathers around their neck and chest so assume a partial moult, is there any thing else i could do for her to prevent soft shells - i use johnsons pump acion critter spray regular and there is no sign of mite in the eglu, acv and worm treatment - any suggestions would be gratefully received as to why and what else i can give her i am losing a few eggs  a week being squashed and they seen such inferior quality compared to the other two hen's eggs her comb is red and upright and she eats and drinks well
thank you in advance
chickens out

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Re: soft shell eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 17:59 »
You can buy a liquid called Calci-vit from pets at home or you can ask you vet for some as its not expensive.

chickadee

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 18:51 »
worth a try - thank you

Lydia-Maria

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 20:38 »
I've got a similar problem with an older hen,she laid a soft/thin shelled egg yeterday,and,again today.Like yourself,I've increased oyster grit in her diet(it was always readily available)and I've cooked some egg shells to crush for her.I am also going to add some cod liver oil to her diet for vitamin D,this,as well as calcium is needed for stronger shells.
I suspect that your girl being young,the eggs are passing through her to quickly for the shell to form,maybe an increase in vitamin D would help this.
Lydia

chickadee

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:53 »
thank you lydia i will give her some cod liver oil your suggestion makes sense
helen

Lydia-Maria

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 12:30 »
I'm trying the cod liver oil with mine as well,not tried it before so I'm hoping it works as well.For some reason mine isn't taking the oyster shell that she can help herself to.So am going to get calci vet stuff today ::),failing that I will be collecting snails for them,and er, flattening them with my rolling pin.......very revolting :tongue2:.

xx
soft shell eggs

Started by josh5357 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 20:24
by josh5357
xx
Soft shell eggs

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 20:31
by ANHBUC
xx
Soft shell and no eggs

Started by tomgood99 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 11:48
by tomgood99
xx
Soft Shell Eggs

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 21:14
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 38 queries.