wood chips for floor or run?

• 10 Replies

Under The Hill

wood chips for floor or run?
« on: September 05, 2014, 12:21 »
I have been reading that you can use wood chippings (not bark chips) for the floor of the run and that this is useful in that you can change it once a year thus keeping the floor nicer for them.   We regularly have wood chippings delivered to our allotment site and I collected some in the spring and was saving them for some paths.    Could I use them on the floor of the chicken pen instead?  Some chippings I got were from old Shhh... trees although I think I used all those on the paths of my allotment, but I don't know where the chippings come from or what trees/wood is used plus there are often leaves chopped up with them, they are just dumped by the council at our site.  I read that chickens cannot eat evergreen plants it is poisonous for them.    Do you think I am worrying for nothing and it will be fine to add a thin layer of the chippings I have saved or should I avoid using them ? :D   

Or is it worth just keeping it soil and removing the poop each day when I do remove the poop from the coop - there is a roof so it should stay quite dry?   I am reading lots of different options on line about the floor of the pen!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 13:24 by Under The Hill »

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
Re: wood chips for floor or run?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 15:39 »
I get plenty of chippins we leaves etc in em and ive used on the floor regulary we know problems I change it as soon as looks grotty and throw it on compost heap

snow white

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 19:09 »
If you put chippings on soil they do disappear into the ground.  I had a thick layer on a concrete base which worked well, but I had to change them completely every two months-

splash101

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 18:35 »
i use Easibed.

just a thought but if you are using plant material and you dont know where it has come from, it could be harbouring mites which is something you need to be aware of. on the otherhand any wild bird that visits your garden could also be transporting mites.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 12:38 »
I use hard wood chippings to a depth of about 8-10 inches in the run, though the girls move them around and like to dig holes and pile them up too. I turn them over regularly with a fork and get a new load from a local tree surgeon about every three months. I have heard that they can cause breathing problems with chooks, but I have not found this a problem in two years plus of using it. My biggest problem is getting a response from the tree surgeon and then getting home to find he has dumped several tonnes of chippings on my front lawn.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:37 »
I have bought wood chip in the past but to be honest, they are a nuisance when poop picking.  Instead I top up the run soil with sharp builders sand and found that it is more absorbent, easier to pick up poop and keeps the floor nice and dry, plus the girls get more enjoyment kicking it about and having dust baths.  The upside is that the sand/poop as well as soiled coop bedding is good for the allotment (which is heavy clay soil)  ;)

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 16:52 »
Wood chips, shavings are fine to use. Bark chippings, sawdust are not. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Honey65

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 18:51 »
We've tried loads of different floorings as ours are on concrete.  Best is hard wood chippings and hemp chips mixed.  It lasts for about 6 months before changing so is good value and is brilliant mulch on our allotment afterwards.

We order from Flytes of Fancy but if you have storage you can get it cheaper from other suppliers. 

Under The Hill

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 14:34 »
Hi, thanks for all replies.  I like the builders sand option too!   At the moment it all seems fine as it is.  But I suppose with picking up the poos and the bit of soil that comes with that each time it would be best to have some kind of base that I can top up occasionally.    I am hoping on something low maintenance  :nowink: so the sand idea sounds great.  I am picking up the poo on the floor each day when I do the coop poop!    I am right in thinking that if I used builders sand and pick up poo regularly I can just top up the sand rather than have to change it every so often?

PS  our whole family are now completely in love with our chickens - who'd have thought they could bring so much happiness :D

BabbyAnn

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 16:35 »
I am right in thinking that if I used builders sand and pick up poo regularly I can just top up the sand rather than have to change it every so often?

That's what I do - I get a bag of sand and empty it into a box and let it dry out in the sun (turning it over now and again)  I also add DE to the sand and sprinkle a bit in the run every day.  If the soil in the run gets lower than expected, then I rake a couple of bags in for good measure.

Honey65

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 19:35 »
I am right in thinking that if I used builders sand and pick up poo regularly I can just top up the sand rather than have to change it every so often?

That's what I do - I get a bag of sand and empty it into a box and let it dry out in the sun (turning it over now and again)  I also add DE to the sand and sprinkle a bit in the run every day.  If the soil in the run gets lower than expected, then I rake a couple of bags in for good measure.

I hated the smell of wet sand.  Is it better to let it dry out before adding it?  Maybe that could work.. Still, love the smell of the hemp bedding in mine

xx
Wood chips for run - which ones and where can I buy them?

Started by Dickie73 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 07:21
by joyfull
xx
Wood/Bark chips

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 21:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Wood chips stained red from B&Q for chicken run

Started by Amy6 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 23:12
by Amy6
wireless
Which bark/wood chips for chickens

Started by SamT on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 10:08
by evie2

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.