mint

• 6 Replies

amberleaf27

mint
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:25 »
I was given several pieces of mint not roots which I planted.i only have two left now the rest died,but after 3 months only have two stalks it is not spreading what have I done wrong it is peppermint.  amberleaf 27

cadalot

Re: mint
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:46 »
I have no idea what your seasons are like at your location at the moment, but mint generally does not take a great deal of looking after, it normally dies back over winter and comes back in spring / summer and I have mine in pots because it spreads like wild fire.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 09:22 »
Hi Amberleaf.  Like Cadalot, I'm not sure where you are season wise, but have I read it right that you got given cuttings with no roots?

They should have rooted easily, so it might be worth carefully checking the two you have left to see if they are forming roots.  Over here people often root mint by putting a sprig into a glass of water, but you can also root it into compost, so you should see something.

Assuming it is rooting, just leave it a bit longer.  Once the root system has got going, it should send out runners everywhere and start spreading  :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 11:10 »

I would have stuffed the mint in water (in an old glass) rather than the ground until I saw a good showing of roots.  Try this next time.  Cheers,   Tony 8)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Trikidiki

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 18:55 »
If, as amberleaf says, "after 3 months only have two stalks". If they still have leaves they must have some roots. I would just leave them alone until they start shooting.

amberleaf27

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 03:11 »
thanks for info I decided to empty pot out with mint to see what was going on..the two cuttings had a few very hair like roots about 6 inches long going to the bottom of the pot.but the soil was very very wet so I decided to replant them in fresh soil and hope they will be ok

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 10:58 »
Waterlogging could kill new roots, so I think you did them right thing. Keep the soil moist, but not wet and they should be OK.  Mint is a very tough plant  :)

xx
mint

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 21:59
by sunshineband
question
HELP!!! Need help - mint is everywhere

Started by Vit on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 11:17
by Vit
xx
mint

Started by maizey on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2015, 12:59
by Goosegirl
xx
mint

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 09:57
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 40 queries.