Soft lump on the chickens chest

• 3 Replies

Bruce Rance

« on: October 09, 2008, 16:24 »
My 5 chickens are about 10 months old and 4 have been laying a short while.  They have access to my Somerset garden each day and scrub around where ever they can.  I have noticed that all 5 have very recently developed a swelling/lump on their right hand side of their upper chest region.  It feels like a soft lump that can be moved slightly, almost as if it were a fatty build up.  They are fed on layer pellets with a little corn each day. They also get the odd scraps, bread, etc.  Any idea what it is and should I be worried?
Bruce

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 16:29 »
No panics Bruce. :D

It's their crop. Where they store their food before it goes down below for grinding and digesting.

It should be empty first thing, but fills up slowly as they eat, until they're full, when they'll have a rest to digest some and then fill up again before bedtime.

It's the best way to learn about them. Observe, panic, ask a question, then observe again. We've all been there  :wink:

Welcome to the forums by the way. :)

Rob 8)

Bruce Rance

Hens and health
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:35 »
Hi Rob

Thanks for your reassurance. I had a look at them first thing in the morning and all seemed well.  

can you tell me - should chickens be wormed and if so how and how often?  Is there any other regular treatment they should be given to ensure good health and a happy life.

Regards  Bruce

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:06 »
Hi Bruce

There are lots of "Stickies" on here which are threads all about aspects of hen keeping (have a look in the Hen House and they should all be together in a collection at the top)  Aunt Sal etc have collated loads of information and frequently asked questions. So have a good read of what's in there as a starting point, but there's always someone here who can help you  :D

xx
Swollen on the right side of chickens chest

Started by swo1970 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 09:23
by swo1970
question
Negleted chickens, or am i being to soft?

Started by Steve_789 on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post February 10, 2020, 17:48
by grinling
xx
Chickens are laying Soft Eggs...help needed please!

Started by megmeg on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 10:26
by wafflycat
xx
Dry Chest

Started by stamford on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 09:05
by Vember

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 38 queries.