dollies or sheep shanks or hitch

• 13 Replies

rowlandwells

dollies or sheep shanks or hitch
« on: January 27, 2011, 18:51 »
i just wondered how many people know how to do what we call round hear a dolly or sheep shank what's he talking about your saying i am referring to what i learned  to do some thirty odd years ago a rope hitch :)

we used this method for roping  loads on lorries or trailers when we had sheeted the load or other goods carried  in those days nylon straps and tighteners had not been invented we used to put a dolly or hitch in the rope  ;)

so we could pull the rope tight on the load it was a lorry drivers bible you had to do this hitch before you could even go on the road it was as important as your licences unless you drove a box van  ???

i still use this hitch when i carry loads on my trailer I've never had a load move yet you could go from London to Glasgow without the load moving and i have done that   done this hitch so many times it just comes natural I've taken bag loads of manure down the lottie sheet and roped on the trailer people  have asked me how do you do that to keep the load on  i said its a trade secret has anyone out there ever used this rope hitch or still does it would be interesting to know if anyone actually knows what I'm talking about  :ohmy:

Springlands

Re: dollies or sheep shanks or hitch
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 19:02 »
I was a Girl Guide - so I know exactly what you are talking about.  ::) ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 19:05 »
sheepshanks and hitch, never heard them called dollies.

Another Girl Guide here  ;)

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 19:12 »
I have been shown the drivers hitch on several occasions but i could never remember it when needed, thank heaven for ratchet straps. :)

I am fairly good on fishing knots having had lots of practice, any other knot i cheat by going to ANIMATED KNOTS for a refresher,
http://www.animatedknots.com/

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 19:14 »
Moved to the Equpment Shed.

The Equipment Barn is for those with a few acres!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 19:31 »
Those of us with vintage lorries still do the lorry drivers hitch for an authentic looking load but for some reason I always do mine left handed even though I'm right handed  :wacko:

I also learnt the sheepshank, clove hitch, bowline, etc - ex Cub Scout Akela  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

rainie

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 19:35 »
I know what you are talking about Joyfull, dont really get a look in to play with rope though as other half is so good at it, I'm not as good. ::)

However, he can't tie my horse up properly.  :D
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 19:47 »
I still say when I'm doing a knot.........left over right and under, right over left and under...
a Reef Knot...why do we remember the silly things and forget some of the important ones :nowink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 19:50 »
 :lol: :lol: I still say that too  :D

RichardA

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 20:03 »
also known as a harvesters hitch especially if lower end is around a hook and hitch is used to tension the rope whereas a sheepshank at its simplest is used to shorten a rope when neither end is free or accessable.
I still use a variety of knots from being a scout around the garden incl several decorative ones such as a turks head or the quick release highwayman's hitch to amuse the grandkids

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 07:36 »
your replies make interesting reading i'me glad to see old traditions still lasting as for the nylon straps well!! there for the boys you know you can't send a boy to do a mans job can you :D :D :D
             many thanks for your replies RW

RichardA

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 15:41 »
I have just recalled that my grandad would call it a waggoner's hitch whilst my father called it a harvester's hitch.
As a student I had bits of jobs around local farms to earn a bit of money. Farm labourers had a poor opinion of students but when I lashed a trailer load of bales with waggoners hitches in the ropes without being told to then I got promoted instantly from layabout to farmers lad.
R

Yabba

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 18:18 »
I was a boy scout to, and I sailed. Notch up another one that know sheep shank ... never heard it called a dolly though ;)

¥

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 16:05 »
I know what your on about, tree work and tying things in would be a nightmare if i could not tie knots ???
Thanks
Kris

xx
Shanks Britisher

Started by black diamond on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2007, 07:27
by shaun

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.