Growing > Grow Your Own

Onions from seed?

(1/3) > >>

Cavolo Hero:
Has anyone on here grown their onions from seed this year?
I’m really interested in this as I like to experiment.
I’ve got a couple of trays that were started in January, but they still look nowhere near ready to go out into the big wide world, but I’ve nothing to compare with.

Would love to hear some experiences and advice please!  :)

steven c:
we started like you in January in propagators now planted out and doing ok i would guess about 8-10 inches high mostly in rows about 4 inch apart 6 inch between rows some [red baron] are in groups of about 6 dotted around other plants  our main white onion is Ailsa Craig which normally gives us large onions that store well we are just using the last now. good luck.

jaydig:
I have never managed to grow on seed onions and leeks to the size recommended for planting out, but as soon as the weather is looking ok mine go out in the garden anyway.  I planted the onions and leeks out last week, although the onions weren't huge and the leeks no better than bits of grass, never mind the recommended thickness of a pencil.  Both have grown on quickly in only a week, so it's worth having a go. 

Cavolo Hero:
Thanks both for your replies. I’ve prepped a couple of beds ready for them and hope to get them out one day next week.

steven c - that’s really helpful re the spacings. That’s a good idea to dot any spares around.

jaydig - I’m glad you said that as I always lol when it says “plant out when thickness of a pencil” , mine are barely the thickness of the lead inside a pencil!  :lol:

I will definitely persevere then, thanks for the encouragement!

KalisDad:
Being in the west of Scotland, am I to late to direct sow onions, packet says yes, heart says no

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version