Wondering about Pekins?

• 3 Replies

Khususi

Wondering about Pekins?
« on: September 06, 2010, 14:37 »
Hi guys,

We have recently lost our Orp and Cochin and now are left with a leghorn and a dutch Braekel bantam. I want to get some more hens to live with them and was wondering what to go for. My criteria are as follows:

- friendly & pick-up-able
- a reasonable number of eggs
- good pets for kids
- don't destroy garden too much
- interesting to look at
- I like the big, soft-feathered birds like Orps / Cochins but not so keen on fact they would appear not to be that hardy

Someone has recommended Pekins so I wondered what your experiences of this breed is? Would they get on Ok with my existing hens and if I did get some more Orps, those too? Do they tend to fly?

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: Wondering about Pekins?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 21:34 »
I keep and breed pekins and they are a joy to own....

I have sold loads this summer and not one has been brought back for any reason at all... Not even the cock birds that were given a .... well take one and if it doesnt work out return it .... chance :)

They do less damage to the garden than their big clawed brothers and are more than happy to hop up on your lap for a cuddle...... They can fly a bit and get up and about but I shouldnt think they could fly away....

They come in an amazing array of colours, stripey, sort of spotty, plain ... all you can think of :)

I cant recommend them highly enough.... i gave up silkies in favour of these :)

Go get some and enjoy them :)

I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:26 »
I have two pekins and they are very friendly, and full of character, can fly when they want, one of mine flys up on to my arm for treats. I do trim there foot feathers a bit in winter and bring them in for a nice foot bath once a week as they get caked in mud and it tends to ball up on the feathers, but they enjoy the papmering and sit happily on a towel for me to dry there feet off. very sweet natured but do go broody quite often.

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 19:50 »
I have two pekins and two buff orpington bantams which I keep together very happily.

Pekins are very friendly and one sits on my 7 yr olds shoulder like a parrot! ( the buffs are friendly to be stroked but don't like to be picked up so much).

I have them on hard base in their run, with one soil scratch corner, so their feet don't get too bunged up, but I do have to bathe their feet now and again.

They all lay an egg most days. Would heartily recommend them.

C x
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

xx
Pekins

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 16:55
by nerdle
xx
Pekins

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 21:37
by jinty1911
xx
Newbie with 2 Pekins

Started by Anndee on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 19:34
by CharlotteChicken
xx
Please talk to me about Pekins (bantams).

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 18:42
by grinling

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 34 queries.