Can't eat chicken

• 20 Replies

treacle

Can't eat chicken
« on: June 12, 2009, 18:29 »
I can't eat chicken anymore since i've had my hens, just wondered if anyone else feels this way? :wacko:

treacleminer

Re: Can't eat chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 18:30 »
No - it's still delicious - but I do buy either organic or free range only!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 18:31 »
Nope,  I eat lots of chicken but it has to be well kept free range birds.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 18:38 »
wait till you try and eat your own!!!! :ohmy:

I must admit found it strange to eat eggs after hatching myself, I know whether seeing what comes out of an egg made it more difficult or not...... :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 18:42 »
Hadn't thought about that after hatching my little ones - now youve put that thought in my head.  :(.

Nope still think I'll be ok for my poached egg for breakfast tomorrow  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Janschooks

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 18:52 »
I did bottle feed some orphaned lambs on my in-laws farm once and when one ended up on my plate I couldn't eat it  :(
I can eat lamb now though  :D

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 19:52 »
I turned vegetarian about two months ago and we got the chicks the next month.

I was watching HF-W and decided I had had enough of eating dead things that can look back at you.

My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

pandora

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 21:13 »
Oh dear! This weekend my mum is bringing back home the babies of Mummy's Boy and his Sex Kittens that my sister's broody hen hatched out. Mummy's Boy is the most fabulous meaty looking cockerel, but has survived because he is very gentle (my 2 yr old daughter hand feeds him) and we just like him, although I did think briefly about eating him. So when these little chickens come home my job will be to sort out the girls and the boys, and the boys will make lovely Sunday lunch. When we aren't having roast chicken, it will be my sister's homegrown pork and bacon.

I can't bear the idea of eating anything I know has not been raised with a minimum level of respect for it's life. We used to keep a bullock or a pig when we were little for meat, and also ate a lot of game (on one memorable occasion we came across a freshly killed deer - my mum jumped off her horse, picked it up and brought it home, and we had our first taste of venison  :D)

And of course, we're getting turkeys soon.... roll on Christmas!

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 22:50 »
im struggling eating chicken to since getting the"girls :dry:" got some spicy thighs :blush: : from supermarket for bbq and couldnt eat them :wub: also got a frozen chicken in the freezer and im thikning of binning it, my niece said if she had hens wouldnt be able to eat chicken, i said i will :ohmy:but have not ;)

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 22:53 »
I have some young cockerels running at the moment, most are destined for the pot, but they are healthy having a wonderful time, so much better that the sad specimens you see in supermarkets. :(

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 23:03 »
I have some young cockerels running at the moment, most are destined for the pot, but they are healthy having a wonderful time, so much better that the sad specimens you see in supermarkets. :(
Still love chicken as long as its free range or higher welfare!
I am gonna have quite a few boys out of my hatches and if i cant re home them they will be for the pot!
Are cockerals big enough to eat before  they start to crow!??? pr does it depend on the breed??

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 23:13 »
really depends on the breed, mine are large fowl salmon faverolles and are huge already at only 10 weeks old, but they are an old traditinal french meat bird. The bantam version (which you have) are also meat birds in type so you should get a good 4lb bird from them.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 23:17 »
I have tried faverolles, jersey giants and Speckled sussex all supposed to be good meat birds, cost a fortune to fatten up and tasted rubbish, but I am thinking of getting some Sasso or Cobs ::)
Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 23:31 »
Can I start with Michelle??? lol  Michelle, we have found that the Hubbard breeds that we get were better than the Cobbs or Sasso we had before!    One of the cockerels weighed 18lbs!  But that was a one off they are usually 3-4.5 kgs

We eat our own chickens, but won't eat the ones from supermarket anymore.  Like Foxy we like to know that our dinner has had a good life, happy and full of good food.  They've seen the sky, felt the sun and stood in the rain!!!  :)

And our Christmas turkeys are coming on 17th August too, and next lot of meat chicks will be in egg form as our incubator arrives soon!  In fact, we've still got some in the freezer!!!

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 23:56 »
Thanks GrannieAnnie, I will look into that :)

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken Run

Started by sean384 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 21:40
by cambssuz
xx
Ill chicken?

Started by Mildredsmum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 18:01
by viettaclark
xx
chicken pen

Started by Bilbo67 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 23:52
by Bilbo67

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 37 queries.