Beginner to garden design

• 8 Replies

Kitty24

Beginner to garden design
« on: March 08, 2010, 16:14 »
Hi everyone,

I am new to gardening and have done some research into the type of plants I would like to use in my garden, and I am feeling quite overwhelmed as the garden is quite large and I will be starting from scratch.  I would be grateful for any tips or advice anyone could offer me in preparing my garden and I guess where to begin!

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to your suggestions.

Kitty24  xx

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Beginner to garden design
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 16:41 »
Hi Kitty and welcome! :) First thing, if you could give us an idea of whereabouts you are in the country, it will help us to guide you towards choosing suitable plants. :) You can add this information to your profile, so that it shows up underneath your name on the left. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Kitty24

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 16:55 »
Im excited about recieving posts - thank you for your warm welcome.

Im from southampton and half the garden is in shade throughout the year.  There is an old pond in the garden which I would like to get flourishing again.  Plants to do seem to survive well in this part of the world, and I would love to have a scented cottage garden feel.  Its just scary knowing where to start.  I know the soil is quite clay based and am prepared for lots of digging and preparing the soil.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Kitty24

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 17:43 »
Hi

Don´t try to complete planting and designing your garden in one go, be patient and slowly develop your garden over the years. First you can think about what you want (trees, bushes, areas for shade loving plants, a pond, maybe an area for moisture loving plants near the pond, a stone garden, a vegetable garden, a herb garden, borders and so on). Then you make a rough sketch, where all the things you want should be located (keep in mind the orientation and the hours of sun the area will get).
After this you can start planting trees and bushes as skeletal structures. Then you add perennials.
Maybe you buy a book about garden design or a good normal garden book. I have also seen books about cottage gardens.

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 20:32 »
Also, visit the garden centres in your area and look at the plants available, these will not only show you what grows in that locale but, more importantly, you will find the plants you like. :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 20:40 »
There is sure to be many garden design books in you library, that may help. :)

Spana

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 20:51 »
Lucky you to have a whole new garden to do :)

Sometimes villages or a couple of streets in towns will open their gardens over a weekend to raise money for a charity or project.  Go along and have a look round, speak to the owners , they'll love to chat about their gardens :)  and you'll soon get a feel of what you do and dont like and have a lovely time into the bargain :lol:

My pet hate is skinny borders >:(  Make your beds and borders if you have any as wide as you can :)

Kitty24

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 21:14 »
Thank you all for your suggestions.  I shall certainly try and implement your ideas.  I will keep you posted with how I get on!!!

All the best,

Kitty24

xx

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 07:09 »
Kitty,

You say there is an old pond, which you would like to get going again. It might be nice to incorporate this in a more natural area to the garden, with wild flower planting to attract the bees and other insects and of course frogs and newts. :)

xx
Front Garden re-design

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

25 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 10:55
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Help - Garden Pond building and design

Started by Big Jen on General Gardening

34 Replies
Last post July 07, 2022, 22:10
by Subversive_plot
xx
help complete beginner!!

Started by joannebolton on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post August 11, 2006, 09:46
by Marmaduke
xx
New garden

Started by Asherweef on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 12:26
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 36 queries.