Avian Leucosis in small flock of Barnevelders

• 1 Replies

Jeannie Murray

Avian Leucosis in small flock of Barnevelders
« on: August 09, 2011, 13:54 »
I got a new flock of Barnevelders at Christmas - a cockerel and four hens, all around 6 months old.  The cockerel a different blood line to the pullets.  Two of the pullets died in May - I had my vet send them for post mortem and avian leucosis was diagnosed - tumors in the spleen.  The hens had gone very quiet and one became very thin, the other one was perky right up to the day she died and had laid an egg that morning.  Then this week the cockerel died, I did not ask for a pm due to cost but all the symptoms were the same.  I have advised the breeder (name disclosed) but he thinks it is not avian leucosis although the lab report states that.  Does anyone have experience of this? :(

Colernehens

Re: Avian Leucosis in small flock of Barnevelders
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 20:19 »
Hi, we had the same thing with 3 out of 4 POL Orpington FL that we bought in April. So far the the remaining hen is still alive and appears to be ok. The three that died, all did so within 8 weeks of us getting them. Two we had to have put to sleep, and a post mortem carried out on the last one to die. It was not nice, we posted on here about it, it was Hillfooter who recognised the symptoms, as in many ways it was symptom less until about 72 hours before they died.

We contacted the breeder twice but got no response at all. We even told him all the symptoms to look for in his own flock, as the birds had it when we got them as they incubation period was longer than we had owned them. But still he remains silent on the issue to this day.

So sorry you have had to go through it too, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Problem is now I am about OTT about the slightest thing they do that's out of character. I have no doubt that I will relax in time and feel more assured that the rest of our flock haven't picked it up.

I hope it doesn't put you off, we raised some chicks as a result of this and not being able to source any more POL and it has been one of the best experience we have had. Being pure breeds they still aren't laying yet, so we didn't quite solve our lack of egg problem, but next year should all being well be a bumper year for eggs  :lol:

xx
Opinions on Barnevelders

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 16:03
by joyfull
xx
Does no one in Staffordshire have barnevelders?

Started by wildy78 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 21:23
by wildy78
xx
I'm getting a trio of barnevelders(2 hens and cock) on Tuesday any tips?

Started by mamashango184 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 15:03
by Sassy
xx
Avian TB

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 20:50
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 38 queries.