Why did I say that ...

• 20 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Why did I say that ...
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 14:42 »
Courgettes are quite dear in the shops.  About 50p each. :ohmy:

They are very popular as well.  We sell 1kg bags at work and they fly out  :ohmy:  If the people who buy them poked their heads in the allotment gate, they would be loaded with the things in seconds  :lol:

Maybe a network like Landshare,  but for courgettes might just work  :unsure:  We can add tomatoes as well to help JayG out  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 18:06 »
I made a huge batch of courgette and tomato sauce yesterday. 

Do you have a particular recipe? Sounds lovely  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 11:22 »
I made a huge batch of courgette and tomato sauce yesterday. 

Do you have a particular recipe? Sounds lovely  :)

Nope - just a variation on my usual tomato sauce recipe, but its easy and tasty and makes an awful lot of courgettes just go away  :lol:

Cook onion and garlic in olive oil in a large, deep pan and add cubed courgettes.  When that lot gets cooked down a little, add skinned tomatoes, seasoning and herbs.  Reduce the resulting pan full by half in volume.

Freezes wonderfully as the courgettes are already pretty pulpy, but full of flavour, so you don't think 'urgh - soggy frozen courgettes' when you reheat it  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 16:21 »
Fab, thanks yum yum  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 17:25 »
I actually make mine using pretty much the same ingredients, but halve and roast the tomatoes in a low oven, then add the sweated down garlic and onion, blend smooth with a stick blender then add fried diced courgette and chopped herbs (usually parsley but that's mainly because I've usually got more of that than basil.)

Don't know whether part roasting the tomatoes actually improves the flavour, but it does take away the long wait for it to reduce down and wondering whether it's going to start sticking to the pan.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 17:44 »
That sounds really tasty too, JayG (though I don't have any tomatoes I can roast … hmmm … )

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 46 queries.