Scaly Leg

• 1 Replies

Wyandottie

Scaly Leg
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:50 »
I became aware of a scaly leg condition on my Cuckoo Maran at the weekend.  In line with suggestions I found on the forum, I have liberally applied Vaseline to her legs and feet this morning.  There were no crusts on her legs, but the scales were raised significantly.  We only had the chickens in early March and the coop was brand new.  I remove the perches daily and sweep the crevices and perches themselves.  They are bedded on dust-extracted wood shavings which are raked over daily and all poo removed.  The shavings are replaced completely every few days.  They don't have straw at the moment because they throw it out of the coop! 
Some questions for you experts out there - firstly, how often should I re-apply the vaseline on her feet and legs before I can assume I have suffocated the mites?  Should I be using anything else on her legs as well?  Can I assume at the moment that the coop is clean?  I have checked the other five chickens who all have beautifully smooth legs.  Many thanks in anticipation

Vember

Re: Scaly Leg
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:29 »
I'd vaseline twice a day am & pm for at least 2 weeks. I did some reading into scaley leg and that was what I found the life cycle to be  :ohmy: That should then mean that if any of the eggs hatch they to will get suffocated before they can reproduce :)

Hope that makes sense ???

sarah :D

xx
Scaly leg

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 17:41
by ANHBUC
xx
scaly leg?

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 21:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
scaly leg

Started by henman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 11:58
by Vember
xx
scaly leg

Started by kanu on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 19:34
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 33 queries.