chicken enclosure

• 6 Replies

snow white

chicken enclosure
« on: February 24, 2015, 23:20 »
The chickens on my allotment are in a mobile run that is moved every fortnight onto fresh ground.  It is a fairly big run that is awkward to move.  I was thinking that as summer is coming and as I spend hours up my allotment, whether I should rig up a temporary large run in addition to their existing run, so that they can have more space when I am about.  I was thinking of using chicken wire 1.2m in height.  It does not need to be fox proof as I will be about when they are in it.  It does however need to be tall enough to prevent escapes.  Also, will it be easy to get them back into their normal run before I head home for the day, which is fox proof.  Or should I not bother.  What is your experiences? :)

Sassy

Re: chicken enclosure
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:42 »
1.2 metres is unlikely to stop them flying over even with one wing clipped if they are determined. It does depend on breed and age. Young ones are more likely to fly out.

It may be easier and cheaper to rig up wheels on your house and move more often. If this seems daunting there is bound to be someone on the allotment who would relish the challenge to fix wheels. Have a look online at hen huts on wheels. There is a company that sells wheels designed to go on their runs and I cannot think of their name, it would give you an idea how they worked. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 15:24 »
Would electric fencing keep them in?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 19:41 »
I found that throwing a handful of corn or other treats where you want them to go usually works. ;)

grinling

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 21:46 »
Charlie always used debris netting to stop his hens roaming to far. I whistle for mine  or call their name and shaking a corn pot is very effective. My originals would wander onto peoples plots and scratch in the leaves for bugs.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:06 »
Electric fencing would be your best bet but expensive and hard work for temporary runs :ohmy:

snow white

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 15:29 »
I have loads of debris netting and canes.  Would be great for an hour or two supervised.  forgot about that stuff.  Thanks.  Will have a go and see if it works.  Will post an update. ::)

xx
what gauge wire for chicken enclosure

Started by p00rstudent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 18:06
by poultrygeist
xx
Bedmax for enclosure?

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 16:30
by dawnsmith
xx
covering the enclosure?

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 19:10
by henpecked
xx
enclosure size

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:02
by Foxy

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 36 queries.