Schroedinger's Milk Bottle

• 5 Replies

DanielCoffey

Schroedinger's Milk Bottle
« on: November 15, 2019, 18:17 »
Here is a short and not at all serious little guessing game for you all...

Given that we are trying to support one of our local independent farmers by ordering his milk in glass pint bottles from a third-party delivery service (who mainly handles plastic 2L bottles of generi-milk), how many bottles do you think there are inside the box?

I'll give you a clue. An understanding of the mathematical concept of "Zero" is necessary to obtain the correct answer. Perhaps a study of Quantum Tunnelling could claim that there is a non-zero number of bottles in the box for a given value of "in".

I would estimate that about half our deliveries are correctly placed in the cool box and the other times they are not. I know there is more than one driver used on the round so I am thinking we may have a non-English speaker on the route. On the other hand maybe the complexities of a box with a hinged lid are baffling the person involved? I did think that the two rubber straps holding the lid closed may have led them to believe that the box was locked but even when I left them undone there was no change in the result.

At this time of year the temperature is not an issue (for obvious reasons) but in the summer it will be as the milk is delivered unrefrigerated. I am really trying to thwart the little pointy-beaked terrors that are all over the place all year round. Fortunately they have not spotted the milk bottles yet but it is only a matter of time.

The picture has that yellow cast to it because it was taken under the porch light using my phone camera. When getting up in the so-called small "wee" hours I have started checking through the door side window to see if I have to put on some slippers, brave the midgies, scare the nocturnal prowlers and grab the milk in before the birds get it.

I swear the delivery firm employs idiots!
IMG_1103.jpg

Lardman

Re: Schroedinger's Milk Bottle
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 09:43 »
I see you are familiar with what appears to be a common genus around here too, milkmanus stupidus. The good news is they can be trained. Much as smacking its nose with a rolled up newspaper when it  does something wrong is my preferred method it's now frowned upon.

Train your milkmanus by showing it what do rather than telling it  ;) Put your empties back in the cooler and leave the lid open. Your milkmanus will then see the natural habitat for a milk bottle is a crate and in a few day it should mimic your behaviour. Once you have mastered this simple task you can move to the more advanced lesson of closing the lid, although this is very advanced and having been training my milkmanus for 4 years it still struggles with this on occasion.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 10:18 »
Wow ! Not seen that much Goldtop on a doorstep before !
If i was a tit i would be there too ! :D

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 10:39 »
The farmer does organic all grass-fed diet for his cows, allows calf-at-foot during the milking, extended weaning for the calves and natural season for pregnancy. It is entirely up to his stud bull when the girls get pregnant. If they skip a year he doesn't mind. As a consequence the milk is amazing but costs quite a bit more than we are all used to for supermarket standardised milk.

I don't mind supporting the farmer as the milk and cream is so much nicer than anything I have found before. He actually tried producing double cream (50% fat) but it formed into bricks rather than staying liquid so he had to settle for 35-40% so it could (just) pour.

jezza

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 17:28 »
Hello I have shown this to one of my local milkmen he said he wouldn't open the box for health and safety reasons he might trap his hand he also said if the owner wants milk putting in any boxes the milk man needs 3 weeks written notice and a copy of the house holders insurance policy   jezza

DanielCoffey

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 17:33 »
Fortunately it won't be a problem soon as due to yet another bout of overcharging I will be giving the delivery service notice to stop once my motorbike is repaired. I am a bit miffed as I bought the really good cool box expecting to use it for this and to keep the birds off the bottles. Now I'll be going on a 8-mile round trip twice a week just to make up for these idiots. I'm not the only one who has dropped them and they just don't seem to care.

xx
sour milk

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post January 08, 2023, 11:44
by rowlandwells
xx
Supermarket milk tops

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2022, 12:10
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.