War of the Worlds

• 4 Replies

mrs bouquet

War of the Worlds
« on: November 25, 2019, 20:31 »
Will you please tell me, who was the lady sitting in a building talking to a chap with glasses and scruffy hair and a wound on the side of his face/lip.     I found the pictures were very dark (well it is the end of the World  :ohmy: ) and I was not able to work her out.  I may have nodded off for just a few seconds as well. ::),  thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

wapello

• Experienced Member
Re: War of the Worlds
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 14:39 »
Have a look on line youtube etc might pop up,,,make sure you have your lights on,,,
Colin

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 21:22 »
Will you please tell me, who was the lady sitting in a building talking to a chap with glasses and scruffy hair and a wound on the side of his face/lip.     I found the pictures were very dark (well it is the end of the World  :ohmy: ) and I was not able to work her out.  I may have nodded off for just a few seconds as well. ::),  thanks,  Mrs Bouquet

Husband says "that is Amy-the girlfriend who shouldn't exist because she's not in the ahem book. Talking to scruffy (Robert Carlisle) someone who is looking remarkably well for someone who was abruptly and rudely cremated in the first few minutes of the novel."

He's a massive fan and gets very passionate about it as you can tell.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 21:36 by WeavingGryphon »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:44 »
Thanks for your replies.    I did google it, and the woman is Amy with her son (in the future) living in a red world post martian attack.
I don't know whether HGWells would laugh or cry    ::) ::)
Interestingly, I remember learning at school, that Wells, did actually leave his wife and make off with his female assistant/secretary.  :ohmy:   Mrs Bouquet

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 14:26 »
Thanks for your replies.    I did google it, and the woman is Amy with her son (in the future) living in a red world post martian attack.
I don't know whether HGWells would laugh or cry    ::) ::)
Interestingly, I remember learning at school, that Wells, did actually leave his wife and make off with his female assistant/secretary.  :ohmy:   Mrs Bouquet

Husband is having a bit of a steam to himself about how H G Wells didn't write about his personal life so it shouldn't be in the programme. George is the G in HG Wells, he ran away with Amy so they've replaced the narrator with HG Wells. They've put into a book about alien invasion all this unnecessary emotional drama and taken out the ThunderChild fight which is one of the best bits. Apparently it's a small boat smacking a tripod about on the Thames and they showed "that woman who shouldn't exist walking over the bridge beside where that battle was". He feels that "they should have have focused on how unexpected events like war can turn normal respectable people into refugees, uncertain about their survival and what was going on. All they know is what he sees and and what he writes down. there is no bigger picture because he's some random guy who is running away trying not to be barbecued. He's not some elite general/scientist/fighter in the know. he's just a guy who happened to live hear there they landed.
Instead they've invented two boring farts having an affair and focused on that. Probably because there was no boring bits on this book so they had to invent some, there's no leeway to get things wrong so we'll make something up". "Also where is the noises? Spielberg totally nailed that, that BRAAAMMMPP was absolutely terrifying"-a fact he loves "That could be miles away and because of the way it reverberates, you don't know where it is coming from and how far away it is and it could be on you before you had any time to do anything about it". Also he says the tripods being tripods don't list over correctly when they lift a leg up.

He's hugely passionate and enraged about what they've done to his favourite work of science fiction, as you can tell. I don't watch it as I watched the 1953 when I was 6. Not only did I not sleep for months, I never really got over it. He actually makes the tripods noises when he's wanting to be annoying so I will leave the room.

Right I need to go and find something to distract myself as I have the fear even listening to this.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 43 queries.