Feeding broad beans

• 10 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Feeding broad beans
« on: May 31, 2011, 22:51 »
Hello - should I be feeding my broad bean plants (in flower, but not very tall)? If yes, what with?

Thanks for any advice!

Paul Plots

Re: Feeding broad beans
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 22:55 »
I don't feed mine but in the autumn before I plonk in several barrow loads of compost.

It may be that you have a short strain of broad beans - they are not all tall.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 23:01 »
Just water, especially when in flower until the pods have set. If you feed them they will grow tall and get infested with blackfly. Keep in mind that you want flowers and beans, not leaves.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 23:05 »
Slightly off topic, but what has happened to the blackfly investations on my Broad Beans this year - or have they decided my Strawberries are nicer  :)
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 00:13 »
Slightly off topic, but what has happened to the blackfly investations on my Broad Beans this year - or have they decided my Strawberries are nicer  :)

Nope - they are all on my broad beans!!  >:(

Out with the hose early tomorrow morning - I am going to wash the lot off again.

(It seems to take them about a week to clamber / fly or be carried back up by the ants)

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 00:23 »
I have none on the broad beans i grow in my front garden - i guess they flew past on their way else where, not on the lottie yet either but those are only just starting to show a flower or two.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 00:26 »
I picked a carrier-bag full of broad beans a week ago and have another three lots of plants at various stages so perhaps the blackfly have moved south for warmer drier (?) weather and a mass sit in?  :blink:

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 13:17 »
Blackfly infest beans cos the ants farm them and defend them against predators.... put down the gel-based ant-bait stations (or make some and get the refill gel, it's cheaper...).... I put ant-traps out when my plants went out this spring.... there aren't any ants left now and my beans are still clear.... several others on my site are showing signs of infestation, but killing the ants off seems to be working for thiose trying it.... A couple of ladybird larvae will go through blackfly like combine harvesters through a wheatfield..... if there's no ants....

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 15:40 »
Blackfly infest beans cos the ants farm them and defend them against predators.... put down the gel-based ant-bait stations (or make some and get the refill gel, it's cheaper...).... I put ant-traps out when my plants went out this spring.... there aren't any ants left now and my beans are still clear.... several others on my site are showing signs of infestation, but killing the ants off seems to be working for thiose trying it.... A couple of ladybird larvae will go through blackfly like combine harvesters through a wheatfield..... if there's no ants....

And a force 9 hose-pipe washes the lot off in a few minutes watering the plants at the same time and dampening down the ants.  ;)

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 22:11 »
i have learned something from you Chris - it is just like greenfly on other things.

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 23:39 »
Slightly off topic, but what has happened to the blackfly investations on my Broad Beans this year - or have they decided my Strawberries are nicer  :)

Nope - they are all on my broad beans!!  >:(

Out with the hose early tomorrow morning - I am going to wash the lot off again.

(It seems to take them about a week to clamber / fly or be carried back up by the ants)

;)

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
feeding beans

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 08:33
by Yorkie
xx
Feeding beans?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2020, 18:46
by JayG

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 35 queries.