Feeding Runner Beans

• 2 Replies

Ali Beck

Feeding Runner Beans
« on: May 22, 2011, 18:57 »
Hi
I am fairly new to growing vegetables and as I only have a very small garden I am attempting to grow a few veg (cucumbers, courgettes, dwarf french beans, runner bean and tomato) in pots for the first time. Well I tried courgettes last year but failed miserably but I am trying again this year. I could do with some advice on a couple of things. Firstly I bought  runner bean plants and as they came in a pack of twelve that is how many I have put in the pots. I have two sacks one is a large hessian planter specifically for beans and the other is slightly smaller which was originally for potatoes. In the smaller one I have put six plants in each planter on canes. I am wondering if that is too many plants for the size of the planters! If so would I be better simply discarding two from each pot?
The other question is how much tomato feed to give plants, i.e a whole watering can full daily and when should I start feeding them. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Alison

Growster...

Re: Feeding Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 21:01 »
You're doing fine!

I plant about a dozen beans round a wigwam (four wigwams actually), and it takes up roughly what you're doing as regards space.

If you're worried, why not just pop the spares in somewhere else, like next to the front/back door? You'll love top see the red flowers, and also get a buzz from picking them when you think the others are a bit slow...

All you need is a nother pot, or a hole in whatever soil you've got there, and some TLC occasionally...

Totty

Re: Feeding Runner Beans
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 21:53 »
Most good compost states on the bag how many weeks you will need to feed after. Normally around six weeks i reckon. Either a sprinkling of growmore halfway through the season or a good liquid feed fortnightly should suffice i would think.

Totty

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
Feeding beans?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2020, 18:46
by JayG

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 35 queries.