Asparagus angst

• 1 Replies

wlseiskn

Asparagus angst
« on: July 14, 2020, 04:11 »
Hi - I'm new here. Really happy to find a forum with so much evident expertise  :)
Can I ask advice about my new asparagus bed please? I planted my one-year-old crowns this spring in trenches with loads of composted horse manure at the bottom and then a ridge of soil. The soil on my allotment is chalky and well-drained. Each crown has put up a single thin stem (of between 10" and 2-foot). I don't know if this is normal for this time of year in the first year.
However, I realise I have made a mistake. The manure I used came from a local stables and it is wood-chip manure. Everything else on the the allotment is struggling a bit, especially the courgettes that I planted very rich, and I now realise the wood chips in the manure are depleting the nitrogen. Can you please recommend a product I could use to help my asparagus get well established despite my mistake? I'm wondering whether phostrogen, ammonium sulphate etc.?

Thank you.
https://walmartone.me/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 14:17 by wlseiskn »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus angst
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 07:26 »
Not unusual to see pretty feeble growth on newly planted asparagus, but the evidence elsewhere on your plot suggests there is a nutrient deficiency.

Wood chips contain little nitrogen. so soil micro-organisms have to 'borrow' it from the surrounding soil to feed themselves whilst they break down the organic material - it is eventually returned to the soil, but perhaps your manure wasn't fully composted.

Either way, something like phostrogen, or any other high nitrogen liquid feed, would provide the quick boost all your crops seem to need at the moment.
I'd use that rather than just a nitrogen source because it also contains other important nutrients and trace elements.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Asparagus angst

Started by Rebecca Horsfall on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2020, 23:23
by Rebecca Horsfall
xx
Asparagus angst

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 18:42
by Trillium
xx
courgette angst

49 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 17:56
by Grubbypaws
xx
nemaslug angst

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 19:41
by oldcow

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 40 queries.