Enzyme for juice extraction...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

Enzyme for juice extraction...
« on: July 23, 2013, 14:15 »
We regularly make a light red elderberry wine, which requires the berries to be boiled about five times, to extract the juice.

I read somewhere years ago, that there was an enzyme you can add to berries in water, which makes the job much simpler (and cooler)!

Can anyone help with what it might be please?

BobE

Growster...

Re: Enzyme for juice extraction...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 17:47 »
Thank you Bob, that is some info sheet!

I think it was Amylase, as we use Pectolase each time, and this also reduces haze as well.

It's just that these warm days are hell in front of a boiling stove for three hours..;0), so we soaked them overnight and the result was pretty impressive!

BobE

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 17:51 »
Growster, I thought you might use the sheet as a start point.  Follow some links etc.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 17:07 »
Growster, I thought you might use the sheet as a start point.  Follow some links etc.

Yes, you're quite right Bob, because I recall that some fruits can be left with the enzymes for a day or so, before boiling, and the yield improves with these additives.

What I'm trying to achieve is abstracting the juice without boiling, and they boil theirs for 2 hours at 50 degrees.

But the article is very valuable, because I know now that I can at least soak the elderberries quite safely with both amylase and pectolase, and hopefully, this will reduce the heating time!

Many thanks, it does make interesting reading!

BobE

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 17:09 »
 :)

Newportalien

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 05:08 »
When using pectolaise etc make sure the wine is around 21c ,leave for 24hrs them add the required sugar,yeast,nutrients. Pour on hot water,no need to boil Elderberries . Up and coming brews...blackberry,rowen,elderberry,crab apple. Have fun

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 06:13 »
When using pectolaise etc make sure the wine is around 21c ,leave for 24hrs them add the required sugar,yeast,nutrients. Pour on hot water,no need to boil Elderberries . Up and coming brews...blackberry,rowen,elderberry,crab apple. Have fun

Now that's an interesting start, Newport, thank you!

We usually do about five boil-ups for half an hour each, and by then the juice coming out is pretty dull with no colour.

I then chuck the berries, add the dissolved sugar etc, to the container and away we go...

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:25 »
Thank you Bob, that is some info sheet!

I think it was Amylase, as we use Pectolase each time, and this also reduces haze as well.

It's just that these warm days are hell in front of a boiling stove for three hours..;0), so we soaked them overnight and the result was pretty impressive!

I don't know if Amylase would work in the way you want it to Growster...that is, help with the extraction of the juice...???  I use Amylase in some of my beer recipes...(only every now and then) as I understand it Amylase helps with  the breakdown of starch into sugars in beers & wine with a high concentration of starch..ie grains, rice & the like.  Now because of this action, that would help clear a wine. As I said at the beginning I don't know, but it maybe worth a test run and see...thinking about it a little deeper, surely the best way for extraction with the like of elderberries & any like fruit, would be a press. If only a small one??.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

xx
Will campden tablets stop pectic enzyme from working?

Started by Silkworm on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 20:33
by Silkworm
xx
High Juice

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2015, 21:20
by grinling
xx
apple juice

Started by wayne170534 on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 00:28
by aqua
xx
Fruit Juice

Started by joshwain on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 21:03
by joshwain

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 37 queries.