Horseradish

• 12 Replies

Marf

Horseradish
« on: October 19, 2020, 12:34 »
I wonder if anyone has had the same problem as me when growing horseradish? I bought three crowns from a nursery and planted them in a really deep 2ft by 2ft plant pot in multipurpose compost. When I went to take one out I found that there was no tap root only lots of normal thin roots, the other two were exactly the same making the plants useless to use. Can somebody please tell me what I have done wrong.

wighty

Re: Horseradish
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 15:53 »
I tried growing it in a  pot as well and also found it didn't work.  My Dad (I remember) planted some in the garden and it spread and spread and we had a lot of hard work getting rid of it which was why I put it in a pot to 'contain' it.  Welcome by the way, to the forum from another Islander.

Marf

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 18:04 »
Thanks Wighty.
I can't understand what happened, such a disappointment after looking after it all summer.
Got them from Deacons too so they should have been good

wighty

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 19:43 »
I also remember that our dog, a Boxer, first thing he did each morning was go out and cock his leg on it!  Don't know if that made a difference!

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 07:12 »
I found with horseradish the roots take a year or more to bulk up.

Marf

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 21:15 »
Unfortunately I can't try that because I have pulled them up but thanks for the thought. I'll try again next year

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 20:48 »
The reason horseradish is so difficult to eradicate once deeply established is that it grows well from root cuttings.   If you dig out a very large parsnip and leave a small amount of root broken off, it will die and not be a problem.   If you do the same to a horseradish plant, it will regenerate from the broken root.   Because of this, it is a good idea to restrict its root growth.   Have you seen if anybody else has horseradish at your plot who will let you have either a plant or a piece of root?   Either will establish quickly in my esperience in ordinary garden soil.   You can grow horseradish from seed but most suppliers only supply root cuttings which they call thongs.

Marf

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 09:19 »
Thanks Chris, I'm growing it at home so I will get some more and try again. I'll ask the nursery if they know what happened.

Ema

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 11:34 »
I think you just needed to leave them for another year. In my experience they are not an annual crop, wait for them to bulk up and then harvest, making enough horseradish to last you a few years.
If you still have your plants I would trim the tops and bottoms and replant them

Longshanks

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 08:50 »
When I grow Jerusalem artichokes, I buy a packet from the supermarket and plant them. I wonder if I buy a lump of horseradish whether that will grow in the ground.

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 14:59 »
As posted above, horseradish grows very well from root cuttings.  Restrict its root growth, grow in ordinary soil in the spring and keep it well watered.

Marf

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 07:45 »
Thanks for all the replies, I think Ema was correct and I pulled them up too early. I will try again next year, the nursery are giving me some free replacements
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 07:46 by Marf »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 08:22 »
Free replacements are good news  :)

If you are going to replant in pots, I would recommend you use a mix of John Innes compost and your multi-purpose.  I usually put around half JI No.2 in a pot which things are staying in long term.  MP alone breaks down and goes very dusty after about a year, but the JI seems to prolong the life of the mix  :)

xx
Getting Rid Of Horseradish

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 15, 2010, 17:07
by Christine
xx
horseradish

Started by foster75 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 00:21
by viettaclark
xx
horseradish

Started by muddifoot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 07:03
by DD.
xx
horseradish

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 23, 2014, 16:11
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 52 queries.