fox advice

• 6 Replies

Ockers

fox advice
« on: November 20, 2011, 20:50 »
Hi.

I have just extended my chicken run to encompass a large outdoor run too. I am going to open to hatch door around 6.30 am on my way to work and close it at 5 pm on my way home. Although it will be dark will it be too early for the fox? I'm hoping as there will still be a lot of ambient noise it maybe too soon for the fox to be out?  

Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Thanks

Stu
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 21:20 by Ockers »

Brambles

Re: fox advice
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 21:12 »
Some years ago my daughter-in-law lost her chickens just as it was getting dusk... she was at home, just not near the chicken house...  the fox got them all... so if it is dusk, you can be sure that if the fox is in your area... he will be on the case!   

Where I am, we often see the fox in our garden during the day... so really, the chooks are never really safe if he visits and you are not around!

Ockers

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 21:22 »
Thanks.

Think I will only let them out on my days off and weekends. My wife and daughter would never speak to me again if anything happened to 'THEIR' babies

...... in second thoughts, that might not he a bad idea !!!

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:30 »
Now now :lol:

Agree re fox protection. The fox will be used to any ambient noise and it will not put him off. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

clairerey

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:29 »
heya just to let you know that i live in a busy council estate and my chickens were attacked at 10am on a very hot, bright summers day. So not always at dusk or dawn :)
goodluck
claire xx

Ockers

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:50 »
Decided that today they can stay 'indoors'.  Better to let them out tomorrow as I can finish work earlier and only let them out on my rest days and weekends. Afterall, they are only chickens on an allotment.

Thanks for the advice though

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:58 »
there is no such thing as they are only chickens, it makes no difference whether they are on an allotment or at home they need protecting at all times if you fear a fox is a problem. If they are to spend most of their time in a run (which sounds like it will be best for your birds) then they need to have a run that allows them at least 2 square meters of clear run space (so not counting the coop space or the feeder and drinkers spaces) per bird (and ideally a lot more space). They will also need a dust bath area, things to help stop boredom such as logs, perches of different heights, things to peck at (cabbages strung up so they have to work to get them are ideal). Don't forget they also need a covered area to shelter from rain. Make sure the mesh of your run is fox proof (chicken wire isn't) and that the fox cannot tunnel under or climb over it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Cat advice

Started by Belinda on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 09:33
by Belinda
xx
advice please

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 19:44
by karlooben
xx
any advice welcome

Started by kellym on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 11:48
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 36 queries.