Mulching mowers

• 6 Replies

kinza

Mulching mowers
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:14 »
My trusty 15 year old mountfield mowers deck has finally rotted on me!! so its time for a replacement, and was wondering about getting a mulching mower!! Has anyone used one? and can you recommend them? I like the idea of not having to empty the grass box and the finely chopped grass going back into the ground..Any thoughts..?
kinza.

Gwiz

Re: Mulching mowers
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:40 »
We tend to sell quite a few with that feature, but I have to say that the majority of the machines I get back for servicing, tend to be packed solid underneath with compacted dirt and grass, this will lead to the same problem you are in now!
Can I suggest that you look at some Alko machines? The mid range ones have a "four-in-one" capability so that you can mulch, side discharge, rear discharge or collect with the box. It might be just what you're looking for.
You didn't mention what size of mower your Mountfield was? was it pedestrian or sit-on?

As for whether I personally think they are any good, well yes and no. If you have dogs or small children then they are probably not for you if you want to keep the carpets clean. I think also that it's better (in the long run) to remove the grass clippings (experience tells me that unless you are doing the other maintenance tasks to the lawn--scarifying, raking etc, then the lawn becomes unhealthy due to a large build up of thatch)
Having said that, as with any subject involving gardening, machinery, and individual personal preference, sit back and now get a dozen conflicting replies to your question. :D

smud6ie

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:58 »
To work properly a mulching mower has to cut and recut the grass by keeping it inside the deck supported in an air stream .If the grass is wet.too lush,or one tries to cut long grass in one pass  then the system fails to give the desired results.
They are fine for more out of the way areas under  the right conditions but would not recommend for a family lawn.With the weather we have had this year a mulcher would still be stuck in the shed and the grass would be over the knees :lol:
smud6ie

kinza

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 13:03 »
Well that's me stuffed then :lol:  Got 2 dogs and young kids!!Never thought of the dodo laying on top of the lawn ::) Our council has now started to charge us to take away our grass and garden waste :mad:  .

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 22:35 »
It is the preferred type of mower in Sweden - but not in my garden. I prefer a collector, and then dump the cut grass in my composts.

You're beeing charged for giving the council your garden wastes?! ???
Albert

jezza

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 23:20 »
hi i use a victa mulch master its got  mulching bung or side discharge for longer grass check availability as 2stroke models not being made 4stroke honda engined ones now sold  jezza

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 21:31 »
 Providing, as Gwiz explains you can also scarify, aerate and cut regularly so you're only leaving fine clippings then I think the better / greener option would be to mulch. Fine grass clippings decompose rapidly, so should not increase thatch, will add nutrients to the soil and strengthen the lawn. I've tried a Hayter, a Toro and a Stiga – all “three in one” models (collect, side/back discharge and mulch) and I felt the Stiga was the better mulcher - some Toro's have a drive system that adjusts to your walking pace – which is nice. -------- I'd love a Victa 2 stroke.

xx
Lawnflight Mowers - anyone?

Started by Maryann on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 16:04
by Gwiz
xx
Battery mowers

Started by Agatha on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 13:58
by arugula
xx
Mountfield M1 Rotovators/Mowers/Cultivators etc

Started by commerlad on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2022, 13:46
by smokeycockatiel

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.