should i be worried??????

• 3 Replies

dawnie77

should i be worried??????
« on: July 09, 2011, 22:33 »
This is only my second month in keeping chickens so excuse me bugging you with my questions.
i got 3 new chicks just over a week ago and im a little concerned about 1 of them, i think she is about 6 weeks (buff orpington) and she seems fragile compared to the otheres, i got 2 and they both seem alot quiter to my others. the 1 im concerned about seems to be a strange shape and especially when she is sitting down, she walks differently too, a bit like a waddled or that she is too fat, she took a few days to settle in, they had growers pellets to start till i got chick crumb and seems to really enjoy it so eating and drinking is fine, she likes to eat the play sand they have as there bath and i found quite a bit in there bedding today but wasnt in with the pooh more like they had thrown it up?.watching the 4 of them settle down for bed tonight she seems to be breathing differntly to the other, she has a clean bum area alto yesterday i watched her pooh and it came out like clear snog with streaky white bits and a little bit of normal pooh, i looked on here at the differnet types of pooh and it was in the normal bit? just not to sure, been reading but still none the wiser???
any ideas or other things too look for.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: should i be worried??????
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 14:21 »
Sorry I can't help you Dawnie, hopefully someone will answer you questions shortly.  Good Luck
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 18:41 »
Buff orp, 6 weeks, different shape, walks differently?  At 6 weeks I doubt you could sex these birds so how do you know what sex they are one could be a cockerel!!

Unless there's some indication that there is some definite illness like depression, tail down drooping wings, lethargy, lack of interest in their surroundings, closing their eyes, not eating and /or drinking, sneezing/coughing, wet eyes, runny noses, puffy eyes, rattley breathing, bloated abdomens.  I wouldn't worry too much.  Just keep them under observation for any definite symptoms of sickness.  Runny droppings could well be a symptom of the feed change which should always be gradual not abrupt.  Unusual droppings are not necessarily a sign of illness chx can be very variable.  You can worm them in around 4 weeks if this is a concern.

Orps are generally more docile and tend to walk with a bit of a waddle anyway.
HF
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:34 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

dawnie77

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 20:27 »
thanks for your advice, she/he seemed fine today so whatever it is im hoping it will pass but in the meantime i shall keep a close eye
thanks again x

xx
Getting worried now

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 13:14
by Evansent
xx
really worried and don't know what to do for the best

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 18:49
by rachelr
xx
I'm still worried

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:54
by kimT
xx
Worried new mum!

Started by Flossiej on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 11:56
by Flossiej

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 35 queries.