Strimmers

• 7 Replies

jude

Strimmers
« on: October 07, 2006, 16:03 »
HELLO ALL - I have just gone out and bought a strimmer to use on the allotment, but only because it was reduced. Now I'm rethinking the idea cos I'm not sure if it will be hardy enough.  So before I use it has anyone else got a JCB Petol Brush Cutter to tell me if it is any good - or can anyone recommend a strimmer thats good on the allotment - but reasonably priced for the pocket. :lol:

Gwiz

Strimmers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 18:32 »
all depends on what you want to do with it. if you want to cut down brambles it may not be up to the job. if your strimmer has a straight shaft it may be ok to put a metal blade on the end, but if its one of the cheaper models that have a bent shaft ( sold for under £100) you should not fit anything on the end of it other than the strimmer cord, so it wont cut anything too thick.
tall grass?, no problem, but dont try to cut it down to the ground in one pass, take it down in stages, that way you wont damage your new toy in its first outing!
enjoy!
graham :D

toto691

Strimmers
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 22:37 »
JCB strimmers are a domestic strimmer, not really made for tough jobs, but hey....  if you got it for a good deal then use it, you still have a warranty with it!!!   Petrol strimmers use a MUCH tougher line than little domestic electric ones so should be ok for what you wanna use it for - assuming its not full of brambles!

Just remember to mix your 2-stroke oil with the petrol, or it wont last you any time at all...!!!!

jude

Off I go to mow
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 11:51 »
Thank you folks, the strimmer in question has a metal blade with it, so I guess that this will be ok for tall grass.  Do you know of an attachment to actually mow grass that will fit strimmers.

toto691

Strimmers
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 23:33 »
Only a mower im afraid.....  you could try a natty bit of line strimming, but youd have to have a very level hold of your tool!!! :oops:

muntjac

Strimmers
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 20:45 »
you can use the strmmer to knock down tall grass by holding it at angle to the ground .use the metal balde for cutting shrub and bramble under 1inch thick the machine will tell you when it is to thick to cut , i use a petrol strimer to cut new rides and its a simple job to move the strimmer infront of you from side to side  ( with the proper safety gear ) and cut a path .you will be suprised how fast it actually knocks it down . for long grass use the thick strimmer strimmer line .usually yellow ,and the metal blade as i said for bramble elder etc .regs karl
still alive /............

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Strimmers
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 11:26 »
Pay head to Muntjac's advice on safety gear, I was wearing sunglass that I thought was giving enough protection, but a small piece of whatever managed to get through and landed in my eye, no injury was caused but that night I had a bad reaction which was really painfull, as I deal with with eyes I was lucky in that I had some drops I could use to relive the pain until my colleague could check it over next day. I now always use goggles when strimming.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Alec Powell

Strimmers
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 21:03 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Pay head to Muntjac's advice on safety gear, I was wearing sunglass that I thought was giving enough protection, but a small piece of whatever managed to get through and landed in my eye, no injury was caused but that night I had a bad reaction which was really painfull, as I deal with with eyes I was lucky in that I had some drops I could use to relive the pain until my colleague could check it over next day. I now always use goggles when strimming.

Wholeheartedly agree to all this advice but Aidy was your avatar taken before or after this event :)
Alec ( off to bed) Powell
Alec Powell
Watlington
Oxfordshire
"Waiting For The Great Leap Forwards"

xx
strimmers

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 20:45
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Petrol strimmers

Started by wighty on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 09:29
by waddecar
xx
Battery strimmers

Started by mumofstig on Equipment Shed

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 13:43
by Gwiz
xx
Petrol Strimmers

Started by brucesgirl on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 20:57
by brucesgirl

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 35 queries.