couch grass

• 25 Replies

alfieplot162

couch grass
« on: March 25, 2010, 20:01 »
hi, everybody can anybody tell me what depth will couch grass grow to, thanks alfie

massa

• Experienced Member
Re: couch grass
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 20:14 »
what is couch grass ive heard it mentioned on here loads but never known what it is

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 20:22 »
Well I believe the root I have in my plot to be couch it drives me up the wall it goes way down pretty deep and when you pull it because you can dig it out no more it snaps :mad: trouble is every bit that snaps then goes on to make more - I so regret having my plot rotovated when I first took it over oh well live and learn

Missy

Mark-S

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 20:30 »
hi, everybody can anybody tell me what depth will couch grass grow to, thanks alfie

the stolons grow close to the surface - BUT each stolon can be split into very small sections each will produce a new plant.
each plant will produce new tillers and each tiller will produce both  rhizomes and stolons, the ONLY way to kill couch is a systemic hherbicide such as glyphosate (roundup)
its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

andy135

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 20:43 »
All the weeds that I dig out go in my incinerator, one of those things like a round metal dustbin with a hole in the top. We are allowed to burn on calm day's, so I place them on a sheet of plastic to dry off a bit until we get a calm day. Not as much smoke that way.

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 21:02 »
The stuff in my plot doesnt seem to go down more than a couple of feet, but there seems to be rhizomes everywhere. Apparently the last geezer had the plot rotovated before he gave it up due to poor health...... can't blame him, but no wonder its everywhere! Its around the raspberry canes too. If the weather holds off tomorrow morning its getting the mattock treatment! :mad:
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 21:02 »
Couch Grass

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 21:20 »
Couch Grass

Ah no don't - that picture's going to give me nightmares.  I've spent months trying to dig up couch grass.  Horrible stuff. :tongue2:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 07:13 »
we have a big patch of that on our lawn, should i not use the clippings on my compost heap? ive not got any on my plot and dont want to put it there!

bigben

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 09:21 »
Massa - I think it spreads by the roots so you are probably ok to cut it and compost what you cut but never pull it up then try to compost what you have pulled up as the roots spread everywhere.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 10:07 »
Would you believe I am now cultivating this stuff  :ohmy: nope I am  sane (tho most argue). I have now a couch grass bed that grows, I dig up and transplant in the chicken run, when thats been eaten it goes back into the couch bed to re-grow whilst my other one that has reseted and re-grown goes into the run.  :D Its the only grass tough enough for this job.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

brother

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 14:01 »
Well after a lot of pain I have now managed to dig and sieve the whole plot just hope I haven't missed any of the horrible stuff

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 19:05 »
just hope I haven't missed any of the horrible stuff

You will have  :D I've spent 2 years clearing mine (no weed killer just me and a border fork) I still get the odd tuft show up where I've missed a bit but its simple enough to remove once the soils been dug over...

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 19:26 »
I've got a piece of land that I'm turning into an allotment, which happens to have some couch grass on it. I sprayed the whole plot 2 weeks ago with roundup when the grass was 6 inches tall, it partially worked but bits of green started to appear so I decided to get the mower on it yesterday. Most of the ground now looks a yellowish brown (dead) I've raked up the grass and going to take it to the 'green waste' part of the tip. I was hoping to rotivate the plot next week, dig over the beds and start planting. Should I spray the plot with roundup again and then rotivate it or should I spray and leave for 2 weeks and then rotivate. Any advice will be much appreciated. I'm getting really itchy fingers and don't want to dely plating, but on the other hand I don't want to be battling with couch grass forever and a day.

andy135

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 19:40 »
If you rotivate it you will chop up the roots into possibly thousands of potentially new plants. I would wait a week or two to see if it starts to grow back.

xx
Couch grass

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2022, 10:54
by rowlandwells
xx
couch grass

Started by allotmentann on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 15:51
by Aidy
xx
couch grass

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 10:44
by djbnat
xx
Couch Grass

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 18:28
by brinylon

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 39 queries.