Any ferret keepers out there?

• 41 Replies

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Any ferret keepers out there?
« on: July 08, 2010, 22:26 »
Fred and Phoebe are soon to join the ranks: just over a year old neutered pair, cream, very placid.

Our local rescue centre were shut but as I enquired about opening times and they asked why I was there, they virtually dragged me in!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Any ferret keepers out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 22:58 »
Did you take them home in your trousers?  :D :D
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

hlaw9t34zl

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 08:51 »
Hi, I have had ferrets for about 11 years now. I've bred quite a few, and I love them all to bits!

scabs

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 10:11 »
John: Not got them yet. Just got to convert the old coop and make it as escape-proof as possible, then pick up a few bits for them... may pick up at the weekend or possibly next week.

hlaw...etc: It's been a while (about 20 years) since I kept them, any advice? Whereabouts are you, could you update your profile matey?  :)

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:40 »
Lovely creatures. Will they be pets or will you hunt with them?
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

scabs

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45 »
Hi Mosslane,

They'll just be pets. A few free rabbits would be most welcome, but I've never hunted with them before and wouldn't have the first clue!  :lol:

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 11:04 »
We had ferreters visit us earlier this year and I was amazed to see how they work and not lose the ferrets.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 11:05 »
Had a polecat ferret when I was a teenager (long ago).  Lovely animals and they will play all day with a bit of string if you've got the time.  Just like a playful kitten and just as tame if you handle them regularly.

Good luck - lucky you!
John

scabs

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 11:15 »
My memories are of just laughing watching them play, I'd be terrified of letting one down a burrow and never seeing it again! I guess these guys do some serious training with them...?

Very excited!

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 11:17 »
By the look of your list of pets I am sure they will have a great life.

mole trapper

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 11:37 »
Currently have 9 girls did have a hob as well but he was pimped out and the idiot left the door open to the cage!  Shame because he was naturally impotent! luckily for use he had already done the business this year.

Nothing better than watching the girls work through warrens.  Husabands business keeps the girls busy all year round. 

As someone else said they are natural at it, you just need some purse nets and a ferret locator enabling you to find them when they find young have a quick snack and fall asleep!!! :mad:

scabs

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 12:00 »
By the look of your list of pets I am sure they will have a great life.

They'll be kept well away from most of them! All the chickens are on the allotment, thank goodness.  ;)

you dont train them scabs, you just tame them so they come to you and you also fit them with a ferret finder collar, which enables you to track them underground.

Ah... a lightbulb goes on.  :lol:

Currently have 9 girls did have a hob as well but he was pimped out and the idiot left the door open to the cage!  Shame because he was naturally impotent! luckily for use he had already done the business this year.

I hope you're talking about the ferret?  :ohmy:

you just need some purse nets and a ferret locator enabling you to find them when they find young have a quick snack and fall asleep!!! :mad:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mobilekat

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 23:17 »
Ferrets are amazing little beasts- and are very clever and playful. And like dogs can be trained to come to a whistle or their name in exchange for food!

Ignore any old style people telling you to feed brad and milk, instead use a dry ferret food. Dont use cat food as its too salty for them and can cause kidney problems!

They are best to have a water bottle all the time, but most love to have a dish of water to wash in, and will make a wonderful mess!

They will nominate a 'toilet corner'- you can either put a 'litter tray' there to change daily or very old fashioned cages had a wire mess area where 'things' fell straight out through the floor.

Most like toys and you can spend a fortune on the ones pets shops sell, but a rubber ball and a few things to climb on are always fun in most ferrets book (and a drain pipe is heaven on earth!)

I wish I was allowed to have them again, as had them throughout my child/teenage years, but due to a minor teeth and hand incident (Grandad forgot to mention her name was Pyscho) my OH has drawn the line at me having a ferret as he would have to look after it when I am away   :(

Good luck, and we all look forward to lots of photos!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 23:41 »
we have 3 ferrets 1 gill 2 hobs. All white with black eyes. Lovely pets, very playful. Downfall is they smell any ferret owner will tell u. And they need cleaning out daily. We feed ours dry food, james wellbeloved its a bit pricier than some but you get what you pay for. About once a month they get raw liver and heart. They love it. We just freeze it in individual bags and defrost when needed. They are so friendly if they are well socialized from young.
1 dog -Chloe 1 cat - Oscar 2 hamsters - Flo and Tinkerbell 3 ferrets - Charlie, chip and rupert 3 light sussex - Madge, Henrietta and lucy-lou 2 black rocks - Peggy and Betty 1 puppy on the way i'm not mad i'm in love. :)

scabs

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 11:29 »
Yes, the centre mentioned Wellbeloved; turns out our local pet superstore stocks it!

Very excited about getting them now!

Kate, are yours near the chickens? If so, does it not make the girls nervous? I only ask because I had planned on keeping a trio of bantams at home and had assumed that it was one or the other.

As soon as they are settled, I'll put a couple of photos up.  :)

xx
My ferret :(

Started by Thingy on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 13:28
by evie2
xx
WANTED FERRET

Started by samuria on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2014, 15:51
by samuria
xx
Calling all ferret fanciers! Urgent!

Started by Starling on Pets without Feathers

29 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 12:38
by joyfull

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 38 queries.