Potatoes in plant bags?

• 19 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Potatoes in plant bags?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 19:54 »
Good idea Armleywhite! :D

I don't suppose bagged potatoes are cost effective but I'm fed up with damage from slugs and eelworms! You just don't get that in normal trenched spuds!

I bought nematodes one year and I'm sure they all crept away to the plot next door and my mate John's plot across from mine!! :lol:

Kirpi

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 20:15 »
I devoted a small area of my plot to a pond and useful flowers and ground cover plants, which has been haven to on average a dozen frogs, songbirds and hedgehogs who all patrol the potato bed against slugs and snails. Haven't had to control them much at all; even in the rainy year we've had.

Ema

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 17:09 »
I was goin to fill a bg up wih soil and plant a few spuds at home today. However when I looked closely at the compost that I'd baged from my darlek in autumn there's slugs in the bags :(

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 20:47 »
I chitted potatoes last year, i gave half to my brother, i put mine in grow bags, earthed them up and fertilised them regularly, I got a few spuds and they were an okay size, I dont think i got as many as I would have liked, my brother threw his in my mums back garden flower border, he earthed them up if he remembered and added no fertiliser, he got loads of spuds and they were massive, so this year I am going to chill out, dig a hole and lash them in and hope for the best, I spent a bomb on vegetable compost and reckon i was well out of pocket, nope not this year  :)

bigben

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 10:08 »
How do you make container planted potatoes pay for themselves - are you filling containers with new bagged compost or with your own bin produced compost each year?

Basically, can you make it cost effective or is it taste and quality that overrides?

I tend to use my own bin produced compost otherwise it gets pricey. If and when I get some horse muck I have added this but am probably not going to bother with it this year after getting lots of weds popping up from it. I am not sure it is cost effective but they do taste nicer. I am not putting mine in until the end of the month after getting frosted and losing a few last year.

xx
potatoes in bags

Started by shankers on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 15:48
by mrsparkle
xx
Potatoes in Bags

Started by CARROTTCRUNCHER on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 12:12
by lilou
xx
potatoes in bags

Started by JudyB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 12:54
by whiskywill
xx
potatoes in bags

Started by Wildeone on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 11:00
by woodburner

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 39 queries.