mattress protectors and spice bags!

• 3 Replies

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
mattress protectors and spice bags!
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:35 »
Bear with me, this does have an allotment connection!

Do you know that weird fabric that's often used to cover duvets instead of cotton. Well ... we had a double mattress protector with this stuff all round the sides. Predictably, it tore ..    :mad: ....and anyway, we now have a king size bed so the cover was no use. What to do   ???  First of all use second old cover, and some old sheeting, to make new larger protector. Voila ...   :)

The fabric stuff from the sides .. well, that was bagged up and labelled 'shoddy' for my favourite charity shop  ... until I started making chutney the other week.  Well, it was out of that bag, washed and tucked in the drawer before you could say Jack Robinson, and now I have a not quite endless supply of stuff to make bags for the pickling spice ... and have even used larger pieces to strain crab apples for the juice.

How thrifty is that!  :D
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

duckling

Re: mattress protectors and spice bags!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 15:01 »
Nice one. :nowink:
My Gran gave me  a tip the other day as I was having trouble with muslin squares for spices.  She said when she used to make chutney she used to use old tights (washed of course!!).  Fill the toes up with your spices, ginger, pepper corns, chillies etc and then tie the leg to the hand of the pan.  I did this the last time I made chutney and it worked a dream.  So I'm saving my old tights now!! ;)
1 x Hubby, 2 x dogs, 6 x chooks and one big garden - Loving Life

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 18:09 »
Val suggests the tights trick in her book.

I had to get something to make chutney with yesterday.  I ended up buying those muslin squares from the baby section of the supermarket.  Cut one into smaller pieces but it frayed badly, didn't want cotton fibres in the chutney, so ended up using a complete one - rather big but did the trick!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 17:33 »
Old tights are great for storing onions in too .... I just make a knot between each onion and loop the legs over the struts in the shed roof. Grandkids thought it was funny  ... or maybe they meant strange !  ::)

xx
dumpy bags

Started by jack russell on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 22:47
by jack russell
xx
Cheap Gro Bags

Started by Geordie on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 10:52
by snow white
xx
Grow Bags £1

Started by noshed on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 11:06
by alaj
xx
Potato bags

Started by Sprouts on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 11:42
by nobby400

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 38 queries.