Goji berry

• 9 Replies

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
Goji berry
« on: July 19, 2009, 16:46 »
I don't know if anybody else has tried it but .... my young goji berry plant was getting gangly so I nipped it back to what I felt was a better length - I put the extra pieces in water for curiousity's sake and 3 of them have rooted! :D :D 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Goji berry
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 17:04 »
Lucky you!  I couldn't even get my seeds to germinate!  :(

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 18:55 »
hubby got me some seeds from julian graves shop and i must say they are very hardy , mine are a bit gangly and the pack says they can grow to 11 foot it also says all sorts of things you must do but in the end just stuck em inin a pot of soil and away they went .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 19:11 »
I`ve got one plant left from about a dozen planted last year. Germination was ok using Holland & Barret Goji berries as seed but the surviving plant is still very spindly at 3ft high. The rest i left out of the g/house last winter and they got too wet, growing instruction said they need good drainage so it`s my own fault they rotted.
It looks like being a while till goji berries are on the menu.

savbo

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 20:45 »
they grow wild on Hilbre Island in the Dee Estuary - but we knew them as Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree..

:)

m

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 22:51 »
I got my seeds from Julian Graves too, but perhaps I did wrong by following the instructions.  I mixed the cheshunt compound with water, added the gel stuff and everything!  Not one germination!   :mad: :mad:

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 09:33 »
I pricked out the tiny seeds into an inch of sieved compost in an old plastic food tray with lid. I think it was march/ april time put them in a cold g/house and let them get on with it. Germination must have been 50% ish .

It will be interesting to hear if Piccolo`s bush fills out after pollarding, i may need to do the same.  :)

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 09:58 »
I just bought 50 pence worth of berries from our local market and I got thousands of seeds out of it. I sowed a few and gave a load away. I had probably one hundred or so germinate but lost some to damping off ( I sowed them in january, probably way too early). Pricked out 10 which all survived so put 7 up on freecycle and the three I have left are very healthy now.

beanqueen

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:22 »
Got half a dozen healthy plants coming along nicely from seeds bought last year frm ebay. Tried to grow them last year but left it a bit late I think and they didnt survive the winter ( in the  unheated conservatory)

I've read if you can keep them indoors and thriving for a year then plant them out in the spring they stand a better chance of surviving. WOuld happily pass on a couple in the spring to anyone in the area

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 09:32 »
From what i have read lack of heating should not be a problem as they are arid-mountain plants used to the cold but need very good drainage. They certainly don`t like a wet English winter.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.