brassica netting

• 10 Replies

loobs61

brassica netting
« on: February 24, 2015, 15:54 »
Hi everyone,
I need to buy some brassica netting for my sprouts this year. Can anyone give me any advise based on experience as to what gauge is best. I've seen some at 7mm is this small enough to keep the cabbage whites out ?
I want to buy the right one from the start so as not to lose any plants later this year.
Many thanks :)

Title typo edited for future search purposes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 18:46 by JayG »

bravemurphy

Re: brasica netting
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 16:21 »
I find the cheapest and it works well is debris netting (scaffold netting) just gurgle it and you will find it.

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 16:31 »
Bravemurphy is right.  I have used debris netting for the past two years and had great success with Brussels, broccoli, brukale, cabbages and caulis etc.  it keeps the pigeons and cabbage whites at bay.  Just watch out for whitefly though.....

beesrus

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 17:56 »
They'll find a way to squeeze through the 7mm net. Debris net or enviromesh is what you need. Treat them as if they were as slippery as carrot fly. They are, don't let the wings fool you.
And make the net cover big enough, sprouts are tall plants and the butterflies will lay eggs through the net if they can reach the plant.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 17:59 by beesrus »

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 18:33 »
debris netting is cheap as chips on Flea bay, or look out for local scaffolders they use it by the mile!

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 19:30 »
You can get hold of it from some building sites, and sometimes they have bits of roll left over so it's brand new.  However, when we asked at a local building site they had a new type that can be reused as it contains metal strips enabling them to be stuck back together again if they get ripped, so no joy for us! 

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 20:12 »
I have to say I am not a great fan of debris netting for this purpose, although it is cheap and durable, it keeps out ladybirds and lacewings, which are major predators of Aphids. >:(

Butterfly netting @ 7mm is durable, will keep out pigeons and butterflies if tucked in properly enclosing, but not touching, the plants and is great for brassica.

The correct barrier, such as a soft butterfly protection net will do the job better than the standard netting, which in my opinion is too stiff and tears easily. If you decide to puchase, spend a little extra and buy a recommended product fit for purpose. :)
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 21:17 »
eviro is fine. i got some 3m wide so the leaves didn't touch, this comes with tie holes stitched in. i used tiny cable ties to close them up as the butterflies seem to find their way though small holes (don't know how they do it, doesn't look possible)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 10:31 »
eviro is fine. i got some 3m wide so the leaves didn't touch, this comes with tie holes stitched in. i used tiny cable ties to close them up as the butterflies seem to find their way though small holes (don't know how they do it, doesn't look possible)

Small whites can fold their cheeky little wings right down either side of their body and sneak in anything their skinny body will fit through. I wouldn't believe it if I had not watched them doing this  :ohmy: :wacko:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 11:40 »
I've used debris netting for years and find it keeps everything except whitefly out but as mentioned above get the widest you can and raise it so it does not rest on the plants. Have to agree that cabbage whites can squeeze through very tiny spaces.

loobs61

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 12:06 »
Thanks everyone I knew I would get the best advise from here. Last year my sprouts were really tall, went on hols for a week came back to find them smothered in eggs  from cabbage whites. had to bin the lot :( really disappointing, this year plan to use correct stuff and make it really tall :)

xx
brassica netting

Started by mig55 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 20:54
by Christo
xx
Netting over my brassica bed

Started by senrab_nhoj on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 16:15
by DD.
xx
netting for brassica's

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 17:17
by yummy
xx
Brassica netting question

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2019, 19:21
by TonyB.

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 38 queries.