aubergine

• 10 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
aubergine
« on: October 03, 2011, 16:31 »
i've roasted some aubergine for a curry and have the skin left over.

was just wondering if i could give it to the chooks or just bin it?

no seasoning on it, just a little sunflower oil rubbed on before cooking to help with the peeling.

what do you think?

1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: aubergine
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 18:37 »
according to Defra chickens should not be given any household scraps.
Also I wouldn't as it has the oil on it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 21:06 »
Really?  I thought lots of people give their chickens the leftovers from the kitchen?  Dont know if they like aubergine though.  They will usually leave food they dont like.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 22:24 »
I live in a place where we are allowed to feed kitchen scraps to our chickens, so personally I would give it a try and see if they like it (obviously I can't advise you to do the same).  My chickens seem to leave anything they don't like, as ChristyRose said.

As for the oil, if they have an otherwise balanced diet, I would still feed it to them.  Fats and oils should make up a maximum of 2% - 3% of their diet so as long as their whole diet meets these guidelines it should be ok.

(Just yesterday I gave a piece of left-over buttered toast to my chickens.  I should probably tell them to do push-ups and star jumps to burn the extra calories  :unsure:)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 22:25 »
Defra say you shouldn't feed leftovers/kitchen scraps - following the BSE crisis where infected animals were processed to be feed for cattle, they are keen to prevent diseases crossing between different types  of animal.

However, I think most domestic chicken-keepers do as has been done over the centuries: some scraps in the dog bowl, some to the chickens, some in the compost - and minimal amounts in the bin.

I feed my chickens on veg peelings (cooked if potato & sometimes cooked if other things) but rarely plate scraps (dogs), unless it's a bit of tired bread or a bit of rice or pasta - provided it is plain or has a veggie sauce only.

They love the variety and it makes their lives more interesting.

They are all laying daily, but the extras mean they don't get through quite as much pellets.  It's my little step towards recycling: we eat the veg, they eat the peel, they turn our reject into yummy eggs.....

So re the aubergine: why not, provided it's not a huge quantity and forms a small treat not a main meal.  If they don't like it, they'll certainly leave it.
ManicMum

outercircle

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 09:14 »
Why are you peeling the aubergine in the first place?

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 09:30 »
i roast because i don't have a gas cooker. you're supposed to char them for a smokey taste and peel away the burned skin. i roasted and peeled the aubergines for a curry. you roast them in the oven on a medium setting whilst making the base sauce for any curry. you then chop up the aubergines and add them for the last 10mins to blend the flavours. it all looks like mush but tastes great.  (if anyone wants a curry recipe, let me know and i'll post one)

i also feed my girls the odd veggie peelings, rice or pasta but very rarely. in the wild no animal lives on an exclusive diet. even domestic dogs and cats get bored with the same food every day. so i see no harm in giving the birds something different to add to their diet once or twice a week.

as for the oil - my birds get sunflower and pumpkin seeds once every 2/3 weeks so i didn't think it would be too bad.

i only really asked because of the family group aubergine belongs to.

outercircle

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:38 »
I know the one you mean - my friend calls it bharta and there is a similar thing in Morocco. Just didn't like the thought of good food being chucked away - I love aubergines

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:51 »
thats the one!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:14 »
i roast because i don't have a gas cooker. you're supposed to char them for a smokey taste and peel away the burned skin. i roasted and peeled the aubergines for a curry. you roast them in the oven on a medium setting whilst making the base sauce for any curry. you then chop up the aubergines and add them for the last 10mins to blend the flavours. it all looks like mush but tastes great.  (if anyone wants a curry recipe, let me know and i'll post one)

i also feed my girls the odd veggie peelings, rice or pasta but very rarely. in the wild no animal lives on an exclusive diet. even domestic dogs and cats get bored with the same food every day. so i see no harm in giving the birds something different to add to their diet once or twice a week.

as for the oil - my birds get sunflower and pumpkin seeds once every 2/3 weeks so i didn't think it would be too bad.

i only really asked because of the family group aubergine belongs to.

Yes please, I love aubergines and curry so it is a no brainer that I will like your recipe.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 20:32 »
Ummm sounds tasty! :D

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 36 queries.