Cider-Help

• 7 Replies

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
Cider-Help
« on: December 04, 2008, 12:25 »
I have 4 gallons of liquid. History:-
A mix of Golden Delicious, Laxton Superb and Bramley apples picked and pressed about three weeks ago.
Put juice into plastic brewing tub with four camden tablets. After 48 hours added brewing yeast. SG was 1.050 which dropped to 1.045 in a week. Fermentation was quite brisk with a thick crusty' top on top of liquid.
SG dropped to 1.045 in a week and today was 1.000.
Syphoned it into demi-johns today. No longer fermenting. Is straw coloured but tastes and smells a bit sour- If I was served it in a pub I wouldn't drink it!.
Am I being impatient and will it sort it self out, do I need to do something to save it or have I ruined it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old Whiskers

Cider-Help
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 22:51 »
Patience! Give it a chance. It needs more time. Some of mine has been in demijohns for a month and is only now ready for racking.  Where do you have it? - temperature is a big factor.

Fen

• Experienced Member
Cider-Help
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 09:51 »
Thanks for your interest.
Temperature has been a bit up and down. The tub has been in the conseratory where it bubbled away quite happily most of the time but stopped when it got too cold.(Conservatory temp. fluctuates a lot.) I then moved the tub into the house where it still fermented until it stopped over the weekend.
When I put it into demijohns yesterdayI had a couple of pints left over, I added some sugar to this bottle and it started fermenting again

Old Whiskers

Cider-Help
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:31 »
If I were you, I'd leave it in the demijohns, under airlocks, and move it to a warmer room; with luck, you might find that it starts fermenting again: that will be a malolactic fermentation, which will convert the malic acid into lactic acid and will make your cider taste less acidic.  Don't be in a rush - give it another month. Next time, try making it without the Campden tablets - I don't use them and my cider turns out great!

Fen

• Experienced Member
Cider-Help
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 21:19 »
Thanks for an update.
I guess that I have been in a rush.  (As always)
Demi-johns, with airlocks, now in kitchen at about 18C + or - 2c.
Top half of liquid is now clearish and honey coloured, bottom half still a little cloudy and with about 5mm sediment in bottom. No fermentation.
Can I leave them like this for as long as it takes, or should I consider adding any more sugar or yeast?

Old Whiskers

Cider-Help
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 21:38 »
You can add sugar - if you want to make it stronger, but at the S.G. you started with, it should be strong enough. I'd just leave it; when it clears, rack it. It'll probably throw another sediment after that, and you can then bottle it.  It will mellow a bit in the bottle, but if it's still too sharp just add some sugar (or honey) before you drink it.

Fen

• Experienced Member
Cider-Help
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 21:58 »
Thanks , Old Whiskers
I will be patient. and will  post again if anything changes .

Regards

Impatient or incompetent brewer.

Old Whiskers

Cider-Help
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 22:21 »
No problem - good luck! :drunken:

xx
First Cider

Started by Ropster on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 11:41
by adodman
xx
Anyone used a cider kit?

Started by grinling on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post March 13, 2016, 17:42
by grinling
xx
cider

Started by 2peasinapod on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 15:17
by NigelB
xx
Cider Kit

Started by MidlandBrewer on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 21:25
by grinling

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.