Growing your own barley?

• 2 Replies

Idaho

Growing your own barley?
« on: July 30, 2009, 10:00 »
Been lurking for a week or so reading up on the site. And one thing I still haven't seen anywhere on the net is whether it is possible to grow, and hence malt, your own barley.

Anyone heard of anyone doing this?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Growing your own barley?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 10:27 »
Seems reasonable. It doesn't seem to take the farmers around here a lot of effort! I have seen Barley grown in Japan "manually" (i.e. very small fields, probably rotated with Rice) in rows some considerable distance apart, and it seemed to produce massively tillered plants. I can't remember the yields they talked about, but I do remember the figures being impressive. They get lots of rain in the Summer, and heat, in Japan so that may have had more to do with their yields.

I think Wheat will get up to about 4 tonnes per acre yield, Barley less so.  But if I have calculated it correctly 4 tonnes / acre is 1kg / sq.M ... don't know how much you need for brewing, but seems that not too much land would be needed.

Malting should just be a question of flooding a container of Barley with water for a while, draining off, turning (to stop any roots matting), and "drying" when the growing tip is about 2/3rds the way along the seed.  Drying in the oven perhaps?  I expect you would need to Roast the malt if you want to make a Stout

Or can you brew the malt without drying? just go straight to the mash stage perhpas?

Idaho

Re: Growing your own barley?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:35 »
The malting of the barley is very doable at home. Use a hessian sack and soak it for 24 hours, then 'couch' it; pile it up and take the temperature. If it gets over 20C then spread it out, if it gets below 16C pile it up again. Give it a stir every few hours, and spray it with water. 2 days later you have your malt.

Roasting it isn't too bad either. I believe it needs to be roasted between 40 and 55C, turning occassionally. The length of time you roast it for will change the colour. Longer for a dark malt, less for a golden malt.

But then what do I know. I am just an armchair brewer atm. I don't even know how much barely you need!

xx
growing your own barley

Started by p00rstudent on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 15:29
by Idaho
xx
Barley wine...

Started by Growster... on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 06:30
by Growster...
xx
Barley Wine recipie

Started by Newportalien on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post January 01, 2014, 20:03
by Newportalien
xx
Growing hops

Started by Puddles on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2007, 21:11
by belto

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.